Never too hot for a score on the way home from work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I've been slacking on splitting but can't turn down an offer from a friendly tree guy. I had the pleasure of driving home and unloading under a blazing sunset after a somewhat stormy day.

Attachments

• 072110 score.jpg
    072110 score.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 072110 sunset.jpg
    072110 sunset.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 388
ID anyone? Two trees I think. First pic of much lighter round than 2nd and 3rd pics.

Attachments

• 072110 id3.jpg
    072110 id3.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 356
  • 072110 id2.jpg
    072110 id2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 347
  • 072110 id1.jpg
    072110 id1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 372
SolarAndWood said:
I've been slacking on splitting but can't turn down an offer from a friendly tree guy. I had the pleasure of driving home and unloading under a blazing sunset after a somewhat stormy day.

Nice sore solar what type of wood is it? Solar the storm missed us except alot of rain, we did come through Potsdam N.Y. and got hit with some hail when it first started.

Potsdam had 3 inches of rain real quick.

zap

We had hail downtown but it spared our tomatoes thankfully. Not sure on the wood, the leaves and branches are always gone before he calls me and all I know is the one variety was a lot heavier rolling/sliding down to the trailer than the other. And it was hot and sticky in the city.

It all apears to be the same tree Maple.

smokinjay said:

Limb vs trunk make that much of a weight difference? The stuff that looked like the 1st pic was cake compared to the other. I could only get 2 wide of the trunk in the trailer so pushin 30" diameter.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Limb vs trunk make that much of a weight difference? The stuff that looked like the 1st pic was cake compared to the other. I could only get 2 wide of the trunk in the trailer so pushin 30" diameter.

Trunk close to the butt end can be very differnt in weight. (in a tree that size)

Is that real density difference or just water?

SolarAndWood said:
Is that real density difference or just water?

more density Thats why people want root balls for. I think bowls and turning wood. You can get a lot of wood that will curl really bad around the butt and can make stumping very difficult. (30-35+)

Solar do you have to cut down this wood to the correct length?

zap

lol, the correct length is whatever the tree guy cuts it to. One of the downsides of urban scrounging. Another is that I rarely get to use my saws any more. I should trade one of them for a log lift for the splitter.

SolarAndWood said:
lol, the correct length is whatever the tree guy cuts it to. One of the downsides of urban scrounging. Another is that I rarely get to use my saws any more. I should trade one of them for a log lift for the splitter.

Whats the biggest the BK takes?

zap

I generally don't cut anything that fits on the splitter which is 24". I prefer to go NS but I've got enough 6" chunks to burn as it is. That big square firebox is pretty accommodating to all the random stuff I toss in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.