New 13NC Install Photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did end finding out that the 1/2" plywood sheathing did run 96" up from my eaves, so I was able to anchor the support brackets into some solid stuff with some washered fine thread metal roofing screws. I did want to anchor the cricket with the same screws plus a poly urethane caulking. No urethane caulk was availible in my area and I found i had to travel 60 miles round trip to get some. So i settled with 12 washered screws into the metal and sheathing and filled the gaps with a caulking called BIG STRETCH. I have never used this brand of caulking before but was advised at the local lumber yard that it was good stuff. It's pure crap. It had still not set up in the heavier caulked areas after 2 days. At least I have good support with the screws and this caulking may decide to harden....but I'll never use it again. Perhaps if it fails...In the spring I will scrape it out and replace it with sono-lastic or PL Urethane. The motto of this story is stick with the materials that you are sure about and don't take just anybodies word for the efficasy of any untested product.....Untested by you

JPapiPE said:
sawdustburners said:
JPapiPE said:
Hogzilla is right, that shingled roof is my garage and it is about 3' away from the metal roof. I did use metal roofing screws that come with a rubber washer installed on each screw and then they have a steel washer between the screw head and the rubber washer. It this installation leaks I'll just put another layer of RTV 500 degree silicone on it.
good luck= i dont think silicone will stick to silicone.
I did call Portals Plus engineering dept and they assured me high temp silicone was the way to go...I also spoke with Ray at Dura-Vent and he reiterated that only HT silicone was the only caulk that would work...
Thanks for your concern....SawDustBurner

The storm collar should prevent this and can be siliconed correctly to the class A pipe.

Joe's Ontario Chinook Salmon : 34 and 42#

Attachments

• joes 'salmon.jpg
    joes 'salmon.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 361
rich81 said:
how much did you pay for the piping and the thru the roof kit?

I didn't buy a kit. I bought as I saw fit as I have a metal corrugated roof.....So parts of the roof kit would have been unusable. I did spend about $1200 for the boot, stove pipe, chimney pipe, fresh, air inlet, custom made cricket and sealants.....I did a proper job on this install...I did buy most stuff from Ventingpipe.com , but the boot was a special order from W.W. Grainger at $168....So about total $1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.