New 2013 or 2014 Mt. Vernon model; Should I AE or E2 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kramerica72,

Did you get your new board?
Does it looking any different?

How does it operate now?

Thanks!

Vrf201

kramerica72,

Did you get your new board?
Does it looking any different?

How does it operate now?

Thanks!

Vrf201

Just came home from work and will be firing it up soon for the overnight (warm day today so not running now). The tech left a service record that states they installed an "Enhanced Control Card" which appears to be the circuit board. The user controls are unchanged, and they left the trim pot set at -4. I'll post an update tomorrow once I have a chance to put some hours on her.

Hi guys- The new circuit boards are out and being distributed to dealers, we have almost 100 to change out- The air to fuel mixture was adjusted and the purge cycle was reduced from 1 hour to every half hour, doing it more often to promote a cleaner burnpot. Remember the purge helps clear the burnpot of debris by increasing the exhaust blower speed to blow through the system, it does not shut down, feed time is reduced to a lower level, then the blower slows down and feeding continues. The temporary correction of putting the air trim pot to -4 has since been changed, making the heat output of the stove slightly less (rumor has it about 10-12 %, not confirmed). This change was to correct the possibility of build up in the burnpot, poor air flow and delayed ignition of fuel, causing a number of glasses to blow out- very scary scenario. The E2 has been a fine heater, hopefully this bump is being fixed. Changing out the boards will be done for the most part this spring. More to follow.
I'm still fan of the original MV, but the AE (and so far the E2 also) are superbly quiet powerful heaters.

Is the output reduction just during the purge cycle or constant?

If I understand the question, the heat output is going to be constant (if the air fuel change was more air, it also will reduce feed rate, it was reported about 10-12 percent) but have not changed out our control board in the store yet- so don't know. I don't think its going to matter a whole lot, most people run the stove on med or med hi, so the actual btu change is not much, 55k x 80%eff equals 44,000 btus on high heat max output, with the new settings, supposed to be 49.5k x 80%eff equals 39,600 btus on high heat max output. We'll see. During the purge cycle, the stove drops to a low heat level federate.

so if you want a better heater might have to get a different stove???

Hi rdubs- Not saying that, I still think she will be a quiet, superb heater. Just realize it got cut back a little on btus. I suspect it will heat the same, the key is pellet quality anyway. A good pellet always improves stove performance and heat output, IMO. We'll see after the control board changeout happens. If this makes the stove operate in a safer manner, I feel its a good thing. Take care

so is the btu rating from quadrafire going to change? It still says 52000btu on website.

So (stovelark)?

Do we have to keep it set at '-4' once the new board is installed?

Thanks!
VRF201

Hi VRF have been told to keep trim setting at 0 (12oclock) with new control board installed, so theoretically I think if you adjust it to "+4", then the air and feed is back to 55K Not sure how all this will pan out- will have to wait and see. I would keep trim at 0 with new control board, I'm sure that is the suggested position from Quadrafire. Not sure if Quad is going to change btu rating, that is just rumor the 10 % btu reduction. We'll see.

Thanks for posting the info stovelark. Good to know that progress is being made.

I never turned my settings back to -4 my runs great at 0 most of the time I was told buy my dealer that Quadrafire wanted the air cut back until they get to the root problem of glass blowing out , the key is keeping the (pot clean) I did notice with my power pellets that I get a crappy bag here and there that leaves a soot film in a 12 hour burn cycle.

Jeff

Hi Riverat, I do agree with you that cleanliness of the burnpot might be part of the issue of the glass. We run the E2 as a heater at the store and for the most part, have ran premium pellets (Spruce Pointe, LaCretes) and now Geneva hardwoods through her. The Genevas heat well, but are much dirtier (cost less too) than the other two. Having said that, something is wrong with airflow if (and I'm conjecturing here, I don't know what is happening) buildup in the burnpot slows down the process of burning enough to allow gases to build up and delayed ignition to happen. Especially to a force to shatter glass, you just can't have that scenario to be allowed to exist, I'm happy Quad put priority on this, I am hopeful the solution is a proper one.

Will I just got a call yesterday that my board will replaced the 23rd.

Hopefully it will not affect performace to much. Mine has working good since I got it.

Mine was on '0' only unitl I heard the news it should be changed to '-4'.

I do clean mine once or twice a week.

Vrf201

Status
Not open for further replies.