New 3/8" Door Rope Gasket for Hearthstone Shelburne

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
Has anyone replaced one of these on a Shelburne? The parts list specifies "medium density". The ones sold by Rutland on Amazon say graphite-impregnated, but nothing about density. Are these gaskets all the same, or do you need to be sure you get exactly the one specified by the manufacturer?

I just got back from the stove shop, got a new baffle for my homestead.I was talking to the people about gaskets and they said make sure it'sthe same density. Rusty

I just finished putting in my new shelburne gaskets today. I bought the factory gasket kit since it was cheaper than buying the gasket by the foot at my local shop. It was the exact same as the Rutland graphite stuff from the stove shop. the whole kit from woodsmansparts plus was $40 plus shipping. Comes with the 6 glass holddown tab insulators along with the gasket for the door, glass, ash pan, and rear exhaust outlet and the glue.

Reactions: cableman
I just finished putting in my new shelburne gaskets today. I bought the factory gasket kit since it was cheaper than buying the gasket by the foot at my local shop. It was the exact same as the Rutland graphite stuff from the stove shop. the whole kit from woodsmansparts plus was $40 plus shipping. Comes with the 6 glass holddown tab insulators along with the gasket for the door, glass, ash pan, and rear exhaust outlet and the glue.

I only need 5' of gasket for the door. There is no listing for a gasket kit on the factory parts diagram...they show individual part numbers. My guess is that Woodsmansparts puts this kit together. Was there anything in the packaging to indicate it was from the factory, rather than Woodsmansparts?

It had the hearthstone logo and hearthstone part # 93-58700 Kit: She
it was definetly a factory kit with a bar code and in a sealed box.
I had some gasket left over from my other stove and it's exactly the same as the Rutland stuff except is has a peel and stick glue strip on one side whick was useless.

It had the hearthstone logo and hearthstone part # 93-58700 Kit: She
it was definetly a factory kit with a bar code and in a sealed box.
I had some gasket left over from my other stove and it's exactly the same as the Rutland stuff except is has a peel and stick glue strip on one side whick was useless.

Thanks...I'll see if the dealer can sell me just the door gasket.

Nothing to be embarrased about I have been looking at that parts diagram like a hawk to make sure I ordered all the parts I needed in one shot. The gasket was just run of the mill 3/8 graphite rope gasket. You might want to change the glass gasket as well, mine looked fine but when I took it out it crumbled into dust. I'm sure it would have leaked.

Nothing to be embarrased about I have been looking at that parts diagram like a hawk to make sure I ordered all the parts I needed in one shot. The gasket was just run of the mill 3/8 graphite rope gasket. You might want to change the glass gasket as well, mine looked fine but when I took it out it crumbled into dust. I'm sure it would have leaked.

I think all my gaskets are probably okay, except for the door. The stove was new three seasons ago and I don't get up to the cabin nearly as often as I'd like. I doubt that the stove has been used for the equivalent of one full season by someone who relies on it for primary heat.

How long should these gaskets last? I guess i could see the door one going 1st!

Yes, I only open the front door. I've never used the ash pan, and the other gaskets are all in fixed locations. Seems to me, too, that the door would be the one needing attention (and I can see the soot marks on the glass where it is beginning to leak).

Status
Not open for further replies.