New 30 NC. Break in fires?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
Just got a new Englander 30 NC off the trailer and inside the shop.

Although this is my fourth stove, it is my first welded steel stove. Nothing is said in the manual about any kind of break-in fire such as is done with cast or soapstone stoves. Necessary? Good idea? Not needed?

Meanwhile, I'll be out there moving out the old Dutchwest and moving in the Englander.

In case anyone asks: Yes you can unload one by yourself. I took off the door, took out the bricks and ash pan, and got it up on a hand truck. Heavy, to be sure, but do-able. Fortunately I have a low trailer with a ramp. I would not care to try and get one down off a pickup bed.

I don't do anything special with steel stoves. With my 30-NC I did a paint color change on it and fired it up outside to five hundred for a while to cook the fumes off and hauled it in and installed it. I will never get the steel as hot as the smelter or the welders did..

Yep. Loaded and unloaded three of them so far by myself. But don't ever plan on doing it again. <>

Bought 4' of single wall from the local hardware store and rolled out of my shop, fired it up and let it burn. Of course, with only 4' of pipe, there wasn't much draft. Thank god I called Englander Tech Line and they confirmed low to little draft with the four footer. I had to leave the door cracked. I did this about 4-5 times. by the time it was installed in the house, no smell. Which is good since my wife can smell ants in the house!

Well, it is in and a fire started. It is out in the shop, so I have little concern about fumes. It is not all that cold anyway, so I will probably let this first fire just go out.

Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.