New 30 ton Harbor Freight Splitter With Hydraulic Log Lift for $1785

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
computeruser said:
But it can only split up to 12" wood... 8-/

Looks interesting, but I'm always a bit cautious about HF goods...

Yeah, me too especially because of the prices. You get what you pay for, but as I posted elsewhere; you can buy two of these for the price of a Timberwolf.

Good Point on the 12" rounds! Whats up with that. 30 ton machine with 9hp engine and can only split up to 12"???

Either a misprint or legal matter. Understate its capacity and you can't get sued!

I'll have to look into it, but I still love the Timberwolf TW-2HD or TW-5

cmonSTART said:
Timberwolf makes really great splitters!

Yes, that they do! They have though of everything and applied that to the splitter. Auto Cycle (both forward and reverse), Fact Cycle, Trays, Hydraulic Adjustable 4/6 way wedges. Proper work height. Over the road tires. Proper splitting direction (away from hitch)

There were a couple of misprints in the manual for my 30 ton HF splitter.
The manual specifies 8" diameter for my splitter, but I can tell you that's low for sure.

The 12' limit for rounds sounds like a cover your a** type thing. Lawyers most likely got involved and made them add that.

carpniels

Yeah, thats definitely a legal limitation, not a practical one. I have the 24 ton HF splitter which lists something like a 6" maximum. So far the largest one I put into it was 24" and it split right through with ease. I did have to rotate it 180 to split it completely, but that's a limitation of the ram size, nothing to do w/ the engine/pump capacity. The lawyers simply dont want users putting enormous rounds on it, having the splits fall off breaking a foot and then suing.

carpniels said:
The 12' limit for rounds sounds like a cover your a** type thing. Lawyers most likely got involved and made them add that.

carpniels

I think you're giving HF more credit than they should receive. I bet they measure the height of the wedge and use that as a max diameter figure...

How new is this model, I wonder?
It might not be good to buy a brand new model of anything, by anyone.

velvetfoot said:
How new is this model, I wonder?
It might not be good to buy a brand new model of anything, by anyone.

Judging by the design. This is a tried and true Old Style splitter. Splitter technology isn't new. Same stuff have been around for many a year. A engine, hydraulic fluid reservoir, hydraulic pint and a piston. Only thing that has changed is working height, horizontal or vertical, auto cycling, and log lift.

Any 5th grader could build a splitter if you know who to weld and screw a male thread into a female thread. It is not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.