new 361 arctic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 028 is starting to act up, perhaps too much use this year. So I am thinking about a new saw, if I do it would be a 361 arctic. Problem is I would like to be able to use my bars and chains from my 028. I have a few new chains for it and the 18" bar is only a year old. Problem is the 028 uses 325 chain and the 361 is 3/8. Can the 361 be set up for .325 instead of 3/8? Advantages / disadvantages?

There is no dolmar guy near me - so don't bother trying to convert me :zip:

That saw will pull the 3/8 with no problems now if we where talking 260 it would be different story. the .325 are use on smaller saws so they can make it easier through the cut your dont going to have an issue with a 361

kevin j said:
decide soon, they are going away. replacement is the 362

yep thats one of the reason I decided to by

I think about the only thing you will have to change is the sprocket. I'm not sure if the spline on the 361 will accept a .325 sprocket. If not you will have to change both. But I agree with smokinjay, the saw itself will have no problem pulling a .325 chain.

The only disadvantage to this set-up is I wood think that a .325 chain wood cut slower than a .375 chain. Being that a .375 chain takes a bigger "bite".

now I see where you are going. I read too fast. You could reuse the bar and chains and buy PHO and save a bit.

Personally, I'd buy the 361 with 20 bar, 3/8 chain, and keep the 028 complete as a backup and workable saw. Unless is is totally dead, it would be better as complete backup, or easier to sell it complete.

I had a 280, ran .325 well, but I think you'd be compromising the 361 for a long time running .325 just to save the initial $100 or so.

I don't really need another back up saw as I have the husky 61 and the ms250. What I am looking at is buying my last new saw (and my first "new" saw). I am planning to pass the 028 on to someone that needs a OK second saw. It has served me very very well. As i have mentioned in other posts I bought this saw for $ 75 bucks sight unseen, so it does not owe me anything.

I have more money invested in bar and chain for the 028 then the power head. The 361 is the saw I have wanted for sometime and with them on their way out, I am thinking that now may be the time to pull the trigger. So would a 361 with 325 chain be a waste? Now keep in mind that a "big" tree here would be 24" ABH & mostly softwoods.

’berta Burner said:
I don't really need another back up saw as I have the husky 61 and the ms250. What I am looking at is buying my last new saw (and my first "new" saw). I am planning to pass the 028 on to someone that needs a OK second saw. It has served me very very well. As i have mentioned in other posts I bought this saw for $ 75 bucks sight unseen, so it does not owe me anything.

I have more money invested in bar and chain for the 028 then the power head. The 361 is the saw I have wanted for sometime and with them on their way out, I am thinking that now may be the time to pull the trigger. So would a 361 with 325 chain be a waste? Now keep in mind that a "big" tree here would be 24" ABH & mostly softwoods.

wouldn't be a waste but your the first that I have ever heard of doing this combo .325 not as strong of a chain than the .375 and that would be the reason to have the larger chain.. you can make it work that's a given and probably never have an issue either way

Kind of like buying a hot rod Mustang and putting donut tires on it. They'll work, but why would you??

It would always be in the back of my head that the saw is not cutting up to its potential because I tried to save a few bucks.

You may be right, I have looked a little more into the husky 61 that is sitting in the shop ready to go. I don't really use this saw much, but I am going to take it out until decide what to do with my 028. It has a 3/8 chain so I will see what the diff is. But I don't really like the 20" bar that is on it. Just not required for what I have here. More likely to cut my foot with it, then be useful.

You need a different sprocket (PN 0000 642 1239) to run the .325 chain. The only concern I would have in doing so would be over-revving the saw. Going to the .325 would speed up your chain, I would think....

Have you considered a 390.? It is 64 CC, more than a 361 (I think 59) and cost less. It only weighs 1/2 lb more. I bought one and really like it. It might not be professional but has most of the professional features like the compression button, piston etc. I guess I have trouble seeing why people pay more to get less. You can get any size bar you want. I like the 20 inch because you bend over less, but it would handle a 16 sweet or go to a 24.

I own a 390, and will agree with your comment of it being a great saw. Best bang for the buck in my opinion, and mine will pull at 28" and full skip chain through anything I've cut with it. I will disagree about the more to get less comment though. I was a firm believer of that comment until I got my 460 Magnum. Everything about the 460 is geared to lasting literally more than a life time. Just by looking at the saw you can see the quality differences, and the second you have to take a tool to it, it becomes more apparent why they are built the way they are, and why the price tag reflects this. That being said, I do love my 390, and it is my go-to saw when the much larger 460 just isn't needed.

Adam_MA said:
I own a 390, and will agree with your comment of it being a great saw. Best bang for the buck in my opinion, and mine will pull at 28" and full skip chain through anything I've cut with it. I will disagree about the more to get less comment though. I was a firm believer of that comment until I got my 460 Magnum. Everything about the 460 is geared to lasting literally more than a life time. Just by looking at the saw you can see the quality differences, and the second you have to take a tool to it, it becomes more apparent why they are built the way they are, and why the price tag reflects this. That being said, I do love my 390, and it is my go-to saw when the much larger 460 just isn't needed.

the 460 is a whole new ball game and no need for skip chain

Adam_MA said:
The skip was for my 390 with the 28"

yep I know 460 will run 28in. with no skip like a big dog the 361 is a hot saw as well with a 20in.. never ran a 390

golfandwoodnut said:
Have you considered a 390.? It is 64 CC, more than a 361 (I think 59) and cost less. It only weighs 1/2 lb more. I bought one and really like it. It might not be professional but has most of the professional features like the compression button, piston etc. I guess I have trouble seeing why people pay more to get less. You can get any size bar you want. I like the 20 inch because you bend over less, but it would handle a 16 sweet or go to a 24.

I'm really curious...What exactly are you getting with a 390 that a 361 does not meet or exceed? (Note the statement in bold)

MofoG23 said:
golfandwoodnut said:

I'm really curious...What exactly are you getting with a 390 that a 361 does not meet or exceed? (Note the statement in bold)

the 361 is 80 bucks more just from holding the 390 at the dealer I went with the 361,both nice saw's and the 361 has 4.4 hp and the 390 is 4.3 hp....the 361 is about a pound lighter

smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
golfandwoodnut said:

the 361 is 80 bucks more just from holding the 390 at the dealer I went with the 361,both nice saw's and the 361 has 4.4 hp and the 390 is 4.3 hp....the 361 is about a pound lighter

Yep, when I bought my 361, the extra coin (less than $100) was well worth it. Not saying the 390 is a bad saw, but you definitely are not "paying more and getting less" with a 361.

MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
golfandwoodnut said:

Yep, when I bought my 361, the extra coin (less than $100) was well worth it. Not saying the 390 is a bad saw, but you definitely are not "paying more and getting less" with a 361.

in weight you are! lol those 2 saw are good to compare and the price is very close as well don't think anyone would be disappointed with either

Very true.

’berta Burner said:
Do you guys mind sharing what you paid for your 361 in the states? Can you get the Arctic version there? I did not see it on the Stihl USA site.

No arctic version.

I paid $600 out the door - 18" ES bar with a yellow RSC chain. Probably not the best deal out there, but I was not complaining.

MofoG23 said:
’berta Burner said:
Do you guys mind sharing what you paid for your 361 in the states? Can you get the Arctic version there? I did not see it on the Stihl USA site.

No arctic version.

I paid $600 out the door - 18" ES bar with a yellow RSC chain. Probably not the best deal out there, but I was not complaining.
I traded a new 260 pro and 145.00 inculding tax with no bar

Status
Not open for further replies.