New 49-SHC22 and new to pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
Hello to all, I am a new pellet stove owner and have been reading all I can from everyone here before I ask questions that have been discussed before. I purchased a long out of production (but brand new) 49-SHC22 multifuel stove last year and installed it last month. in our 1800 sq foot single story home.

I called Englander tech before buying this stove just to make sure parts are still available, and they were so I based my purchase on that fact and that I paid less than half the cost of a new stove. The tech also recommended leaving this stove in the corn mode even though I will be burning wood pellets.

Last week I fired it for the first time when overnight temps were dropping into the 20s and everything went great except for needing to turn off the stirrer until the fire was blazing so it wouldn't smother it out.

The stove worked fantastic in corn mode and actually put out so much heat during the 3 hour break-in on setting 5 that I had to turn it down at hour 2 to setting 3 just to keep myself from burning up. This was using a bag of Lignetics brand pellets I bought from Tractor Supply @ $5.49.

The second bag of pellets I got from Lowes were Greentree brand @ $4.98. These pellets put out much more heat than Lignetics so I only needed to run the stove on setting 1 most of the time. I was also told that Home Depots Heatrs brand pellets came from the same plant as the Greentree so I picked up a bag to test and they were just as good but only cost $3.98.

Looks like at the lower stove settings, 1-3, I should get about 24-28 hours of burning per bag. So I guess my only question is should I keep the stove in corn mode? The only difference I can tell between corn and pellet mode is the stirrer gets removed before running in pellet mode. Also in corn mode, there were only about 2 cups of ash in the pan after an entire 40lb bag of pellets and all were burned up completely.

Thanks, Todd

Last edited:
Not knowing the stove at all but if it's like other multifuel stoves it may lower the feed rate for corn and possibly if it's real smart the exaust slows down a bit too. Hopefully Mike can chime In and clear up the differances. This mind wants to know as well.

You can check out the manufacturers of the box store brands by using the UPC code and checking in the thread on the main page of the forum.

Not familiar with multi-fuels and corn, does the stirrer keep the burn pot cleaner? less carbon build-up?

Reactions: funflyer
Corn with its sugars quickly make a black lump and the stirrer helps keep it broken up. The Bixby with its titanium pot is a different critter all together using its reflective properties to boost temps and a bisquit making ash dump.

Reactions: funflyer
You can check out the manufacturers of the box store brands by using the UPC code and checking in the thread on the main page of the forum.
Not familiar with multi-fuels and corn, does the stirrer keep the burn pot cleaner? less carbon build-up?

Thanks for the tip with the UPC code. The reply above about corn and it's sugar content makes a lot of sense. After 3 bags of wood pellets, the burn pot doesn't seem to have any more build-up than it did after the first few burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.