New and confused owner of HearthStone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news. Congratuations on getting the stove up to temp and melting those candles.

We had a rare night of about 20 degree outside temps last night and I woke up only once at 3 AM to refill the heritage. During these late night refills I am a little less concerned about clean burning-efficiency-and being smokeless. I simply open the draft 100%, knock the coals towards the front, stuff as much wood as possible in the stove, let it light up for a couple of minutes at full throttle, then shut the draft to zero and go back to bed. The wood is always properly converted to coals and the glass clear the next morning. I am fairly certain that I am sending lots of smoke out the chimney at 3:30 AM. If I was to leave for work in the morning I would do the same then but my wife stays home so she burns cleanly all day.

I don't see a problem with using the zero primary air setting on the heritage. I know that the stove top can get up to and just past 450 on this setting so I don't want to go to sleep on any other setting. That said, if we are awake and home the stove never gets set to zero unless the temps are looking like they'll pass 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.