New and have a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjantczak

Nov 9, 2014
Hobart, Indiana
Hi everybody, new here from Northwest Indiana and just installed a wood stove i got last year for free from people that i mow for. My question is, what manufacture is stove made by? cant seem to find an image online of one with a name. If anyone has any answers i would greatly appreciate it!

Whatever it is, it's old, and it's way too close to combustible materials to be operated safely. Is there any sort of identification/information label on the back side of the stove? Rick

Whatever it is, it's old, and it's way too close to combustible materials to be operated safely. Is there any sort of identification/information label on the back side of the stove? Rick

Im working on getting a wall shield for the area around it, i also moved all the stuff away from it after i took the picture. i think the picture makes it look closer to the wall than what it really is? Its not in service yet until i can get wall shield, i have a torpedo heater to use til i get it(hopefully soon!). Anyways, no it does not have a identification or information label which i found interesting, i looked everywhere around on the stove and couldnt find one.

In that case, it needs to be 36" in all directions from any combustibles...like walls. Unless you're willing to build an approved wall shield (non-combustible material spaced 1" out from the wall), in which case you can reduce that clearance to as little as 12". Looks as though it's set on a concrete floor, so you shouldn't have to worry about floor protection. What does the rest of the flue/chimney consist of? Rick

If you cannot find an UL-listing label on it, you have to assume it is unlisted. The best you can get with a heat-shield then is 12" from combustibles. Here is an article that goes into more detail: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear
It also looks like you have single wall pipe which will need 18" to combustibles.

Check also with your local building code inspector and inform your home insurance of the stove.

The stove is also being choked down to 6" pipe. That can lead to smoke spillage in the room.

I plan on building the wall shield soon, i have it spaced 14" from the wall on the sides and back. the single wall pipe is 18" from combustibles as well. The chimney is the double wall type. I have all the piping and chimney that the stove was connected to at the previous peoples garage(except for the new 8" to 6" adapter, old one was beat up). Im new to this stuff so, still learning and i appreciate the info :) . As for the code inspector i have a friend that is one so im covered there, insurance is also notified.

The main safety issues here look like clearances. We can't see the transition to the chimney pipe. Does it switch to class A chimney pipe at the ceiling or wall thimble?

Well guys i found out what the stove is. Its a Buck stove, found one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-stove-...6296?pt=US_Heating_Stoves&hash=item33972ec308

Looks like the name tag should of been on the handle for the damper on mine. It has the same blower fan on the back but looks like it has the glass in doors which mine doesnt(wish it did!). So new question, anyone familiar with these stoves? I also plan on getting wall shield today and going to the 8" all the way up instead of the 6" the people gave me with the stove.

It could be a Buck stove clone, there were many made to look like the Buck stoves, especially if it doesn't have the buck logo on the damper handle or the metal tag on the back.

It is a good garage stove.

After googling and reading more i started thinking it maybe a clone like you said. I measured the width of the box with the doors open and its 20", which is equivalent to the buck stove 27000 or Regular Buck. I cant wait to finish up around the stove with wall shield so i can burn some wood and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.