New Ashford is here & first burn underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charger4406

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2011
southern Quebec
I brought home my new Ashford yesterday and installed it in my kitchen's dining area.
First of all this is a heavy stove to move by yourself but most of my
buddies were working combined with my lack of patience made for
a back breaking ordeal but at least it's not on a raised hearth.
The stove came fully assembled save for the by pass handle which
just slips on the end of the shaft and the dual fan kit which took only
5 minutes to install with 8 screws,and the catalyst meter that just
go in through a hole on the top.
The removable top was in position but was protected in a separate bag
007.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 012.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG023.JPG

I'm 4hrs into my break-in burn, loaded 13 pounds of wormy poplar on small bed of coals
Does look like it will be a long burn although was not intended to be.
It's not on the lowest setting , about to the second dot on the dial.
This is the only stove burning at the moment and the house is at 70, kitchen is 79
outside temp is 39. door and windows were open for the first 45 min's to get the
smell out of the house but still was warm, stove was on the highest setting and
was really putting out some heat.
I'm glad I ordered the fan's as they really help circulate the heat to other parts of the house.
The electric baseboard will be moved soon, have not had time before the stove arrived lol.
024.JPG 026.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff_t
Looks like the same cat meter we all have. There was a rumor that BK started shipping a different one with numbers. Does your thermostat have numbers or just dots?

Can you not load your wood north/south the long way? If you can, you should have an easier time packing it full.

My thermostat has the #1 at lowest point,2 midway and 3 for highest burn with a dot between each number.
I can load north south as it will take 18 inch splits that way but I was not loading it fully so I just put
them in east west.
Interestingly in the manual blaze king recommends loading it left to right.

Nice looking setup there charger. You mentioned a "removable" top. This interests me. How removable is it? Does it just sit in place or is it bolted down?

Reactions: charger4406
;sick;sick;sick.........that's green with envy ..............yeah and a little sick about it .....Heh .

BG the top just lifts off, it sit's on four bolts centered on four washers welded to the top.
028.JPG 029.JPG 030.JPG

Here is the the cat meter at 6.5 hrs, room temp at 78
027.JPG

BG the top just lifts off, it sit's on four bolts centered on four washers welded to the top.

Great. It's not as convenient as the Alderlea, but quite serviceable for folks that need to cook during a power outage.

That removable top is a nice feature for cooking but they should of copied PE Alderlea' slide away design so you don't drop it on your foot.

It's not really heavy but is awkward and was quite hot when i lifted it off for the photo lol.

Good luck with her! Amazing how similar it looks to the Cape cod!

You are going to love coming home to nice warm house and plenty of fire left in that stove! I did not get the blower for mine but I plan on ordering one here real soon. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Thank's all.
the cat just fell out of the active zone but is still throwing enough heat to keep the room at 72
but it is mild outside,35, 12hrs on a load that would have lasted 2hrs in the F600, I am happy:)
I will let this cool down tonight and let the Jotul take over, will start a full load fire tomorrow.

Webby I find the fans help quite a bit at throwing heat off this stove as I find it more of a
convective stove, but the fans are manually operated, no snap disc or other sensor to
shut down or turn on the fans like the Cape Cod had, but I still like them and do not find
it a hassle to operate them.....yet.

Webby I find the fans help quite a bit at throwing heat off this stove as I find it more of a convective stove, but the fans are manually operated, no snap disc or other sensor to shut down or turn on the fans like the Cape Cod had, but I still like them and do not find it a hassle to operate them.....yet.
BK quit using snapstats a few months ago, because they really aren't needed. The thing is hot for so long that there is no real need.

Reactions: jeff_t
Thank's all.
the cat just fell out of the active zone but is still throwing enough heat to keep the room at 72
but it is mild outside,35, 12hrs on a load that would have lasted 2hrs in the F600, I am happy:)

That's what the other folks don't seem to understand. Long burn times, plenty of heat, just makes a superior heater.

Time to update your signature charger.

Well the stove has not cooled off yet, 6am, 20 hrs, not throwing much heat
but top is 170 and still some chunks left in the box,
001.JPG

What where you heating with before the Ashford?

Jotul F600 and F100, before that the Cape Cod

BK quit using snapstats a few months ago, because they really aren't needed. The thing is hot for so long that there is no real need.

Really, the stove is just about cold before the blowers shut off. When I am at that point, I don't need the heat and I'm not using them anyway. The only time the stove goes cold in the winter is when we're gone for a couple of days. I bypassed it on my sister's stove.

Charger, you're still using the Jotuls? You've had almost as many stoves as webby ;lol

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the pictures and info on your new stove!

Anyone know what the MSRP is on one of those? I'm thinking about replaceing my 1980s stove in the next 1-3 heating season so this sight is a wealth of info but unlike what you find at the big boxes its hard to find prices for new stoves online.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the MSRP is on one of those? I'm thinking about replaceing my 1980s stove in the next 1-3 heating season so this sight is a wealth of info but unlike what you find at the big boxes its hard to find prices for new stoves online.

Blaze King is only available thru dealers, no online sales.

I read in another post from another MI resident, somewhere else, $3400 OTD. That included blowers, tax, freight. Plain black, enamel is probably a few hundred more.

Where in MI are you? I have only found one dealer in the area I would recommend.

Reactions: PapaDave
Blaze King is only available thru dealers, no online sales.

I read in another post from another MI resident, somewhere else, $3400 OTD. That included blowers, tax, freight. Plain black, enamel is probably a few hundred more.

Where in MI are you? I have only found one dealer in the area I would recommend.
Pricey bastards... :mad:

Kalamazoo area, I even looked at some dealer websites on-line but of course no pricing. The 3400 estimate is probably close enough ball park for me at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.