New at the fireplace insert idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agray

Oct 25, 2008
Indiana
What is a good price for a good looking efficient insert installed? Which one to buy? Are we too late for 08?

Boy there's so many to chose from depending on the size of your fire place opening. Your best bet is to measure all 3 dimensions and visit a stove shop and look around.

$12K? Boy that would be gold plated, real gold.

I'd say about $4K

Good luck,

I like the sound of 4K a lot better than 12K. What kind would I be looking at. We have a regular sized fireplace. The area I would want to heat is an open area, Family room, kitchen and living room and dining room. Ceilings are pretty high in the living room and family room, but both of those rooms have ceiling fans. The fireplace is in the family room. I would guess that it is 1700 to 1800 sq. feet. We close off the up stairs and our bedroom.

I would like it to be attractive, have soapstone inside, a fairly good sized view of the fire. I guess from what I have read the stainless steel liner needs to go all the way up the flue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EatenByLimestone said:
4 thousand would probably work too, but I hate to go over budget.

Matt

LOL :lol: LOL

What's "regular sized"? Inserts, unfortunately, don't come sized like tee shirts...each model has very specific dimensional requirements. Rick

agray said:
I like the sound of 4K a lot better than 12K. What kind would I be looking at. We have a regular sized fireplace. The area I would want to heat is an open area, Family room, kitchen and living room and dining room. Ceilings are pretty high in the living room and family room, but both of those rooms have ceiling fans. The fireplace is in the family room. I would guess that it is 1700 to 1800 sq. feet. We close off the up stairs and our bedroom.

I would like it to be attractive, have soapstone inside, a fairly good sized view of the fire. I guess from what I have read the stainless steel liner needs to go all the way up the flue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The "soapstone lined" option narrows the choice down to about one insert I think, the Hearthstone Clydesdale. This is a fine insert and sounds like it may work well, but there are lots of others to consider. Are you looking for a more contemporary or a more classical styled stove front?

Here's a link to the Clydesdale. If you decide on this stove, I would recommend getting it in blue-black enamel. The finish is gorgeous, easy to clean and keeps the stove looking sharp year after year.
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=15

PS: If you can provide the fireplace opening size and it's depth we can give better advice.

Ok, it was pretty dirty in the fireplace even though we have it cleaned professionally, I guess they concentrate on the flue (which is good). The width at the front is 34" narrowing to a back width of 26". It is 26" high and we can't have it protrude over 9" onto the brick surface on the front floor surface.

I have read that the soapstone liner is the best. Is this true? It seems as if it would be if you do not have to replace the soapstone and you do the fire brick? Also the firebrick would not be continuous (with no cracks) and it would seem that it would not be quite as efficient. Just my thoughts.

I want the front to look somewhat decorative and not like a stove. I know it will have to have somewhat of that look but I have seen some that look like a stove and that look would not look good in our house. I know there has to be some area protruding into the room, but the less the better - 5 or 7" would be better than the full 9" The 9" would only give about 2" of brick and the adjoining floor surface is wood.

I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

You're going to have to extend that hearth either way, I believe.

My insert and liner plus installation and some chimney service was $3500.

agray,

I'm not sure how you got connected to soapstone... nor do I understand you concern about firebrick.

I have a new Quadrafire 4100-I, and suppose it looks somewhat like a stove fitted into the fireplace with a surround added. It has a bay window, which is somewhat different than a typical stove, and the "gold" trim adds some "dress" to the look. There are smaller Quadrafire units too, with even less extension onto the hearth, e.g., the 3100-I.

There are many other brands you can consider, and one consideration is dealer support, I believe. I hope to never need the dealer, but the availability of a Quad dealer within 20 miles of my home helped me pick that brand.

Here is what i did.
Measure your fireplace opening. Side to side, top to bottom
front to back and any angle of the firebox. Visit a dealer with
dimensions. They will let you know what will fit. Plus you get to actually
see the stoves in person. Research the stoves till you find the right one.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.