New auger motor, still no feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Souzafone

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2007
Freetown, Massachusetts
Did a thorough cleaning, tested ok. Used twice so far, for a couple of hours to chase the chill on a cool morning, and kicked on during the night by itself once last week. I shut it off before work, went to turn it back on yesterday, no feed, just a slight hum noise, no blinking lights. Emptied the hopper, pulled the small gear and chain, the large gear turns ok, figured motor's shot. Install new motor, same problem. Help!
Just re-checked everything, also checked vacuum hose at the switch end. Where does the other end go? Am I missing something, or do I need a circuit board?

Souzafone said:
Did a thorough cleaning, tested ok. Used twice so far, for a couple of hours to chase the chill on a cool morning, and kicked on during the night by itself once last week. I shut it off before work, went to turn it back on yesterday, no feed, just a slight hum noise, no blinking lights. Emptied the hopper, pulled the small gear and chain, the large gear turns ok, figured motor's shot. Install new motor, same problem. Help!
Just re-checked everything, also checked vacuum hose at the switch end. Where does the other end go? Am I missing something, or do I need a circuit board?
check your combustion blower and make sure it spins freely, its probably the humming noise.
no blower=no draft=no feed

You hit it, I never noticed the combustion blower not working during the test function. I tried to spin the fan from the back by pushing on it gently and it won't budge. I turned the stove on, not on test, and the combustion motor is the source of the humming noise. I'll take the front of unit apart tomorrow and see if anything got in there. Does this come out from the front or back? With the feed motor out I can see some nuts on the back of the combustion motor.

should come out from the back.......BUT to remove it you probably have to remove the fan blades and they are pretty fragile.....
I would look at it from the front and see if the shaft is frozen with rust or carbon, sometimes a shot of penetrating oil will free it up...
After the nice humid New England summers the stoves usually have this sort of problem...

Nice call GVA.

GVA---if you ever come up this way I owe you a beer. I spun the fan on the front of the combustion motor by hand, it was just barely stuck, said AHAH!, buttoned it up quick, put it to test, and SUCCESS! Now I'll take tha fan off and clean the scale behind it and get a good penetrant in there. Again many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.