New Avalon astoria installed!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coobie

Jan 20, 2010
southern michigan
Just had the avalon astoria installed last week looks great,can,t wait until the heating season starts.I have 4 ton of the uncle jeds and 4 ton of pro pellets left from last year(oink)We also had our 500 gal. propane tank filled up last week for $1.35 gallon lowest price I have seen in quite a few years.Let her snow.LOL,coobie.

Congrats on the Astoria install......I was a proud owner of one until last year, but it's a very good stove. You'll enjoy the heat that stove and the great Uncle Jed's pellets produce in the real cold weather, and the ProPellets will be good too in the shoulder seasons. Follow the directions in the manual for setting the air control....do it exactly as they say.

Oh, BTW.....where are the pics???? No pics = it really didn't happen! :)

here was my Astoria:

Attachments

• Astoria 1.jpg
    Astoria 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 877
imacman said:
Congrats on the Astoria install......I was a proud owner of one until last year, but it's a very good stove. You'll enjoy the heat that stove and the great Uncle Jed's pellets produce in the real cold weather, and the ProPellets will be good too in the shoulder seasons. Follow the directions in the manual for setting the air control....do it exactly as they say.

Oh, BTW.....where are the pics???? No pics = it really didn't happen! :)

here was my Astoria:
I am a OLD FART that does not have a digitial camera,so no pics.LOL,coobie

Congrats on the Avalon Astoria

I did some research and in Southern NH it was a good choice for me also. I had it for one season already and found it took only 3 tons to heat my house for the entire winter. So I just bought 3 tons of Logik-e premium hardwood pellets made in Canada for the next year.

The tough part was figuring out what fan speed and heat settings to use so I made a chart from my experience. Hope this helps in making your own chart :)

The following chart is a guide for heating the whole house (Split Entry) with the stove installed in the center of the basement with 2 registers with a convection fan and a doorway fan in the doorway to the basement.
Pellet Stove Heat Setting, with the Air Restrictor on 2 and the Convection Fan on 6 (Highest)
Wind Speed +or-5 MPH >>
5 10 20
Outside Temp +or-5 Degrees
v
v Astoria Heat Setting (1-6) Astoria Heat Setting (1-6) Astoria Heat Setting (1-6)
0 4 5 6
10 3 4 5
20 2 3 4
30 1 2 3

Example1: Early Saturday morning on 01-30-2010, The wind speed was 20 MPH and outside temperature was 4 degrees. the chart says 6 for the heat setting. At that time, we had it set to 5 when we were asleep and 6 when we woke up for more warmth and comfort!!

Example2:
02-07-2010 at 2 pm, the temperature was 27 degrees F, and the Wind Speed was 9 MPH. Therefore, the chart above puts the heat setting between 3 and 2 (slightly closer to 2) We have it set to 3 for comfort although 2 would be adaquate!!

Here is more info I compiled about the Astoria on my computer
http://24.34.84.89:8080/trhproj.nsf...42e1a03a71224912852575f4000e74cb?OpenDocument

Good Luck
Don

A little Rope Light and Candles make a real nice effect at night!!

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • PelStoveWithRopeLightscale2.jpg
    PelStoveWithRopeLightscale2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 881
smwilliamson said:
awww. c'mon, show us the light show pic.

question for newer Astorias...I haven't worked on one in a while, do they still require the screwdriver to open the door?
Yes they do,I installed a heavy magnet between the door and stove.coobie

Hi

Yes mine has the screw but also has a magnetic latch so I just took the screw out. I guess it is more for shipping now a days.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.