New Ax Manufacturer in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
$250 is a bit too rich for me for an axe.
Council Tool in North Carolina makes axes- Velvicut axes for $140-$190 and the Railsplitter axes for under $100.
I have the classic Jersey axe from them at $75. Good axe, it keeps a good edge. Also the handle is not lacquered so I can use linseed oil on it to prevent blisters.

http://counciltool.com/about-us/

Reactions: drz1050
Wow no mention of snow and Nealley in the Downeast article?
I appreciate what they are doing and respect their work. Looks like good quality.
I personally do not know anyone that would spend that kind of money on an axe and actually use it, but I’m sure there are people out there.
Funny the article says they aren’t marketing towards hipsters etc, but that was my first thought of who would buy it when I started reading.
I very rarely even use an ax, but maybe others use them more frequently I don’t know.

I like the old Maine pattern a lot, and wish Council Tool would make one... looks like these guys are making good stuff, but agree that $200 is pretty steep. Article is just an advertisement, hence no mention of Snow or Council.

I've been purchasing out Sager Chemical, Plumb, Norland, True Temper, and Collin ax heads, and refinishing and handling them. It is hard to get quality steel these days as compared to the ax's of old. Also, I'm not paying $200 for a quality ax. Average cost is around $50 by the time it is refurbished.....