New axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
I went ahead and bought a fiskars X27 today I needed a new splitting axe and after reading all the great reviews of it here I decided to go for it. It was doing pretty good living up to all the hype until I ran into some nasty twisted up pecan. That stuff is rough I had to break out the maul and wedges after I got into it I saw why the x27 wasn't working. I must have gotten a lot of pieces that were from branch areas or something. Overall I would say that this is a very good splitting axe Im pleased with it. Aside from the knotty twisted stuff that I struggled with everything else split great.

Yep, I agree, I bought it because there wasn't one bad review out of over 100 fromhomedepot website, and it truly lives up to the praise that it gets. I also got the x7. It blew away the more expensive competition in that size category. A superior product...

I give the Fiskars X27 a pass on crotches. Heck, there are some that will slow my 35-ton splitter.

Yep Im happy with it the nice thing is that even on the knotty stuff it at least didn't just bounce off like my maul. I think it was $50 well spent.

Mine broke :mad: but I get a new one free ::-). They are very good axes but keep it sharp ! I mean it check every use once it chips it does not work any where near as good ever again no matter how sharp you get it. It is really the best for the buck though no arguing that.

Pete

Reactions: raybonz
I picked up the x27 a couple months back and put it to work on a whole lot of beech, oak, maple and some other unidentified wood and it has been a great axe for the most part! I had a few over strikes and I did notice a very tiny hairlike crack forming but so far has not affected the way it splits. I'll wait and see if it gets any worse and then I'll put that warranty to work. I did notice the blade dulls and dings rather easy and the fiskars sharpener does very little to bring it back.

Mine broke :mad: but I get a new one free ::-). They are very good axes but keep it sharp ! I mean it check every use once it chips it does not work any where near as good ever again no matter how sharp you get it. It is really the best for the buck though no arguing that.

Pete
Any suggestions on sharpening it and axes in general? I know my dad used a bench grinder to sharpen his but I feel like that's not a good idea. I looked at the "axe sharpeners" at Lowes and Wal-Mart but passed on them thinking they were a little gimmicky.

The accusharp knife sharpeners work well on the Fiskars. even better than the Fiskars sharpeners.
the ones with the blue handle?

the ones with the blue handle?
Thats the one Nice things is you can replace the two little sharpening stones that are inside it. But I think you will find that you will still have to hit it with a grinding wheel once in a while. The Fiskars edge gets a bit too knarly for just a normal sharpener.

I use a flat file to take out the big nicks and a coarse stone to finish it up. I've gotten into the habit of using the stone after most splitting sessions. I try to avoid nicks by using a short round under the one I'm splitting (i.e., keep it out of the dirt). I've split about 12 cords with the Fiskars and it is still in good shape. Overall, I'm pleased. The wood doesn't quite spit on its own, but I can swing the Fiskars for several hours without major fatigue.

I always use a biground for a chopping block, but the Fiskars still seems to get some decent nicks in it. Maybe they use a softer carbon steel that lends itself to easy sharpening. Either way,dings or not ,its a very effective tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.