New baffle in the Grandma.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I had a new baffle made for my Grandma. A local shop cut it out of 5/16 plate steel. When I installed it I covered it with 1" of ceramic wool. It is doing great! Right now it's running 750::F on the stove top and pipe is reading 325::F
Has anyone else put ceramic wool on their baffle?

Hey Webby, Where are you getting the temp at on the stove? Been trying to find the proper stove temp to run my honey bear at. I ran double wall insulated from the stove out so I can't check the pipe temp. Been running around 600-650 on the step down slope.The wool sounds like a good idea too.

That temp was on the stove top, it reads nearly the same on the step but the top of the step is even cooler. Not drastic differences, but some.

"Right now it's running 750::F on the stove top and pipe is reading 325::F"
That's how mine runs now since putting in a baffle made from a steel frame and fire bricks.

John

Just for kicks, if you have an IR thermometer, measure the temp of the doors when that stove top is up there at 750.

pen

Mines an insert so it's a little different as no step, top dead center 500 degrees, sides center are 400, doors are 270 degrees and the pipe right above the stove surface is 376 degrees. mine has a baffle and a stainless 6 inch flex pipe.

T

Be interesting to see what a blower does to the outlet pipe temp. That's the area where a blower removes a lot of heat from.

Status
Not open for further replies.