1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New baffle in the Grandma.

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by webby3650, Feb 3, 2013.

1. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I had a new baffle made for my Grandma. A local shop cut it out of 5/16 plate steel. When I installed it I covered it with 1" of ceramic wool. It is doing great! Right now it's running 750::F on the stove top and pipe is reading 325::F
    Has anyone else put ceramic wool on their baffle?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mtn man

mtn man Member

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Hey Webby, Where are you getting the temp at on the stove? Been trying to find the proper stove temp to run my honey bear at. I ran double wall insulated from the stove out so I can't check the pipe temp. Been running around 600-650 on the step down slope.The wool sounds like a good idea too.
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That temp was on the stove top, it reads nearly the same on the step but the top of the step is even cooler. Not drastic differences, but some.
  4. Mo Par

Mo Par Member

Loc:
    The Hereford Zone, Maryland
    "Right now it's running 750::F on the stove top and pipe is reading 325::F"
    That's how mine runs now since putting in a baffle made from a steel frame and fire bricks.

John
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Just for kicks, if you have an IR thermometer, measure the temp of the doors when that stove top is up there at 750.

pen
  6. mtn man

mtn man Member

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks guys for the replys.Just trying to be safe and burn clean and not in a danger zone. May invest in an IR one day.
  7. Tendencies

Tendencies Member

Loc:
    NW Wisc
    Mines an insert so it's a little different as no step, top dead center 500 degrees, sides center are 400, doors are 270 degrees and the pipe right above the stove surface is 376 degrees. mine has a baffle and a stainless 6 inch flex pipe.

T
  8. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Be interesting to see what a blower does to the outlet pipe temp. That's the area where a blower removes a lot of heat from.