New bagging plant in Upton Mass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
I heard thru the vine there is a new bagging plant in Upton Mass. Anyone else hear anything?

I also heard they are bagging a Douglas Fir pellet from BC. Platinum Fire brand.

j-takeman said:
I heard thru the vine there is a new bagging plant in Upton Mass. Anyone else hear anything?

I also heard they are bagging a Douglas Fir pellet from BC. Platinum Fire brand.

C'mon Jay, you are the Fire God. Of course you heard first!!

edit: just found this from last year... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/55552/

This snip it is contained in this story in a local paper last year: http://www.tauntongazette.com/archive/x1767500555/Rick-Holmes-The-rebirth-of-the-G-U-Railroad

"One of Delli Priscoli's first customers is an outfit that makes wood pellets for stoves. Now, the pellets are shipped to New Jersey, and trucked to New England. Any day now, they'll start arriving by freight car in Upton, and be trucked from there to retailers throughout the region."

Yes there is a plant there, and it is up and running. A co-worker lives within spitting distance of the plant.
Not sure what there bagging or where it goes. I heard they were bagging for box stores. They do not have
any retail traffic in or out. Pellets arrive on trains are bagged and trucked out, with very little (none) advertising
or signage. The pellets never sit on-site as soon as there bagged there moved out.

I got an email after I posted this. Seems we are getting both a Douglas Fir and a popular BC softwood bagged at this facility. Both are bulk delivered by rail to the plant and bagged for the New England area. He said due to the fines complaints this should get them as clean as possible. Once removed from the rail cars they go into the silo's. The pellets will be vacuumed and screened just before the bagging station. There bagging the Platinum fires now and the Okies will be starting around September. We will also see them in a new much thicker bag too!

So Okies and Platinum Fires will be locally bagged at this location. Creating local jobs to the area(not sure how many people it will employ). I sure hope my local house get some of the Platinum Fires, I really really really want to sample some!

j-takeman said:
So Okies and Platinum Fires will be locally bagged at this location. Creating local jobs to the area(not sure how many people it will employ). I sure hope my local house get some of the Platinum Fires, I really really really want to sample some!

Me too! Waiting patiently ;-)

I live one town over from Upton and had it confirmed by 2 different pellet retailors in the area. One dealer did say that the "Oke's" were one of the pellets being re-bagged.

J-takeman - " He said due to the fines complaints this should get them as clean as possible." Curious to what this means??

I wonder how competitive the pricing will be. I bought some Blazers last year to try them but at 300+ i would never buy them again.
That being said I am already drawing up a way to fit another ton if the price for these is right.

DRINKSFORALL said:
J-takeman - " He said due to the fines complaints this should get them as clean as possible." Curious to what this means??

Some of the Okies users were complaining their were to many fines(saw dust) in the bags. Long trips on frieght cars rattle the pellets together and they start to come apart. He is Mr. Warm(BTU) if peeps want to know.

Jay,

Okies are still being run in bags from BC. Once the stock is gone a transition to bulk rail and bagging in Upton. New 4 mil bag.
Platinum Fire (Confluence) are being bagged now. 4 mil bag - I have some - they look good on the pallet no damage from the rail like Okies.
The Doug Fir pellet is being bagged out west and brought by rail - not sure the name - i think Okanagan Doug Fir

The bagging system sifts out all fines here and they have a small pellet mill that takes the fines and reforms new pellets. Pretty impressive.

Any mention of who will carry the Platiunums in CT ?

pelletdude said:
Jay,

Okies are still being run in bags from BC. Once the stock is gone a transition to bulk rail and bagging in Upton. New 4 mil bag.
Platinum Fire (Confluence) are being bagged now. 4 mil bag - I have some - they look good on the pallet no damage from the rail like Okies.
The Doug Fir pellet is being bagged out west and brought by rail - not sure the name - i think Okanagan Doug Fir

The bagging system sifts out all fines here and they have a small pellet mill that takes the fines and reforms new pellets. Pretty impressive.

Some how I miss read Doug's email.

They are bagging the Platinum Fire(which are long pole pine and the same pellet as Eco Flame) and Will soon be bagging the Okies(sometime in September). And you are right he did call the DF pellets Okanagan Douglas Fir. He's only shipping out a small quality to start with. Testing the local waters with the Douglas Fir for now.

A link to Confluence and the Platinum Fire brand.
http://www.confluenceenergy.com/pellet-product.html

pelletdude said:

Ill Keep in mind.

But looking for somebody West of the CT river, otherwise it will cost me $50 in gas to drive out there.

iron stove said:
pelletdude said:

Ill Keep in mind.

But looking for somebody West of the CT river, otherwise it will cost me $50 in gas to drive out there.

I have an email in to CTpellet, No reply just yet. I'll post when they do.

Hoping I get a few bags of the Douglas Fir okies, But Mr. Warm is being stingy. Says I need to travel to Upton to get my sample. I just don't have the time for the travel. If he wants to see a review on them, He'd better figure out how to get them to a nearby dealer for me to pick them up. Although I wouldn't mind seeing the bagging facility myself. just to dang busy!!!

Will the Douglas fir pellets be competitivly priced ? Those few blazers I got for testing last yuear were over 300 a ton.

Platinum Fire $259/Ton CT Pellet, thinking of getting 1/2 ton if anyone lives nearby me or close to the route i'll take to get there from bloomfield i'll pickup more and maybe we can trade if interested please pm me

I plan to try em out if/when they are available in my area, but not at $300.00 a ton.

You know, if a few CT members could visit,, take a few pics, post a write up, maybe even get a few samples, might be a interesting time.... :)

I got an email from Scott at CTpellet. His Platinum Fires will be landing sometime next week. Sorry, I didn't ask about pricing.

Mr. Warm has offered a sample of the Platinum Fires for a review(I am still working on getting a sample of the Douglas Fir Okies for a review as well). When I go to CTpellet I'll pickup a few of the Maine Choice, Geneva and Greene Team Gold for this seasons reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.