New bagging plant in Upton Mass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are the CT pellet houses always a little cheaper than the ones in MA neat me? Grrr Does anyone know of a place in northern CT that will deliver to southern MA for a reasonable price?

IHATEPROPANE said:
Why are the CT pellet houses always a little cheaper than the ones in MA neat me? Grrr Does anyone know of a place in northern CT that will deliver to southern MA for a reasonable price?

The local pellet dealers are sympathetic knowing we are so over taxed here in CT! I sneak off to mass on weekends just to buy my gas(pay cash so there is no trail).

Yikes! Must be bad if your sneaking to MA to avoid taxes.
I think I have to pay tax on the money saving info I learned here :)
I like buying most of my pellets from the local shops. Although I pay
A little more I enjoy the service and selection. In the future I will
Probably buy 4 ton from the locals and leave a ton open for hunting.

We were out picking up supplies before the storm(Irene) this morning. Stopped at CtPellet and chatted with Scott. I picked up 3 bags of the Platinum Fires(complements of Mr. Warm) and 2 bags of the GWP(complements of Scott) pellets for testing this fall.

I am still hoping Mr. Warm can send down some Okangan Douglas Firs once the season gets rolling. :)

I would like the long story short on how one can justify paying 280-300 per ton when good pellets are available for 200-220. Dollars for BTUs, is it worth it? In the very cold, I let my furnace trim off the temp. and still only use less than a tank of oil for both heat and hot water per year. Just want to know, thanks.

save$ said:
I would like the long story short on how one can justify paying 280-300 per ton when good pellets are available for 200-220. Dollars for BTUs, is it worth it? In the very cold, I let my furnace trim off the temp. and still only use less than a tank of oil for both heat and hot water per year. Just want to know, thanks.

I have tested on my own most every new and old wood pellet soft/hard you name it. Imo certain wood pellets work differently in one stove from another. I'm willing to spend another 50-80 dollars per ton so i can get the best results in BTU & ash. I want my house warm and i want to not spend every day cleaning ash/klinkers out of my stove in order to get so so BTU output.......just makes sense to me and has worked for me each and every season. My pellet stove is over 10 years old "Earth Stove TP440" and is pretty manual in all ways. There are very few times i need to run my furnace during the winter but i also do but maybe like 3-5 days if that.......

save$ said:

In the end, buying the more expensive pellets gets you less fillups and cleaning per BTU. Lower cost pellets like 197 a ton from HD get you more BTU's when you calculate the BTU's you get for the same $$.

So, if you want to clean less and move less bags then the more $$ pellets are the way to go. If you want to get the most BTU for the least $$, then the box stores are the way.

with Box stores at $197 and premium at $250 per ton with the btu ratings of 7900 & 8300 respectively, you can get 4 million more BTU's when you spend $250 worth at the $197 per ton.

That can't change

Status
Not open for further replies.