New Biomass 60 setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

Apr 5, 2013
NE Ohio
I just got this boiler and searched for setup suggestions w/o much luck. I'm going to be using the 1500 gal storage tank I've got with this unit. Boiler to storage, storage to loads. I'm wondering what pump size for the boiler.

Thanks

Have you seen the diagrams that Tarm has provided?

Pump size will depend on your heating load and pipe sizes. I sized my boiler pump to move 20GPM to storage to avoid having the boiler idle. I can get the boiler to hit 195 and idle but it doesn't happen often.

BTW great choice in boilers! Post some pics and proposed diagrams and plenty of people will help with input.

My delema is that I'm installing this in my current house now as my ducted woodburner has reached the end of its life. I had not intended to install the boiler until my new house was built next year. Consequently, the loads won't be the same so I'm aiming to buy right/once for the future house.
I'm not looking to have much if any idle at all. I've the capability to go to larger storage if benificial. I was thinking in the 15-20 GPM range. Interesting to see that is where you've got yours.

I have seen a few diagrams that come close to fitting my future needs but haven't nailed it down just yet.

If you're handy with spreadsheets I can email the one I built to size my pump from the Taco TD10 datasheet. Otherwise just do the hand calculations yourself. Lots of factors go into main circ pump selection but mainly it's about getting the gpm rate necessary to adequately carry the amount of btu's your home will require. I assumed 80% of our BioMass 60's btu capacity could get to our home. Our system has an unusually long run from boiler barn to house and back. So between just the necessary gpm and the head loss resulting from the long run, I have a Taco 013. Had I been smarter back in the day I'd have used 1 1/2" pex to reduce the flow velocity, which would reduce head loss, which would have resulting in a smaller pump resulting in less electricity. Make sense? I think the recommended flow velocity is 2-4 feet/sec. Mine's at 4.4 fps in the 1 1/4" pex with the 013. Just received a Laddomat 21-100 to handle the boiler to storage circ. You can look it up to find out it's gpm. Mike and several other regular posters here are already running storage with their BioMass 60's so they should be a big help. I'm in the process of installing storage after our 4th season. Check out the BioMass Sticky also and you'll meet lots of guys with working systems to help and send them PM's to ask questions. Welcome and for the money it's really tough to beat the BioMass. I have no regrets in my decision made over 4 years ago. I think there may be better boilers out there, but just still tough to beat in the performance/dollar category. BTW, I'm not a controls savy type of guy so I bought the Laddomat so it will automatically handle all my storage charging needs. The 013 between storage and house and Laddo between boiler and storage. Best wishes.

I would appreciate the spreadsheet. Basically, that's what I'm after, I guess. I do fine with systems setup but need the calculations to properly size the controls.

I went through the Biomass sticky prior to deciding to go with the 60. I'm just one of those kind of people that doesn't like to bothers others with pm's. I try not to be needy. ;)

Fortunately, I do understand fluid dynamics so I've already decided to go "large bore" on my PEX. The future setup won't be a long run but the current run is 60' from boiler location to side of house.

I'd like to get this up and running soon so I have time to learn the boiler. I'll use it for DHW and use my pool as a load to get experience with the unit.

60KW rating = about 200,000btu x 80% efficiency = 160,000 btu so using a 20* drop from supply to return you need 16GPM. Well within the range of 1-1/4" steel or copper unless you are talking looooooooong distance pumping.

If you want to drive your storage up to 190*+ then you will need to work with a 10* drop and the GPM will double to the 30GPM range. Pipe size will go to at least 1-1/2".

Thanks for that heaterman

I have nearly the same with an EKO 60 ( same output ) and a 1500 Gal tank. I would not go bigger myself because of the time it takes to heat the tank to "full". I had to bump up by boiler pump to a UPS 26-99 3 speed shortly after install to get it all working just right. I have a 70 plate HX and abount 80 Ft one way of 1" Pex-al-pex ( MUCH closer to copper than normal pex for head ratings )

I circulate in the house with UPD15-58's Charge the tank with one on low , Boiler and zones are on medium pump settings. I included a graph of last nights tank charge. I've been idle for a while so the tank was 78 at start, You can see I am getting about 10 degrees an hour. We had 38 degrees last night and expecting 40 tonight so I fired up one last time.

Attachments

• 1500 Gal Tank charge.PNG
    1500 Gal Tank charge.PNG
    16.1 KB · Views: 144
Good info, mwk. Thanks! I've picked up a couple Taco variables for a really good price. Capacity on the pumps should put me well within the range that you're running. I'm going to be about 70' on my run w/1 1/4" lines. Current house is mid 50s so not the ideal heating conditions but not terrible. How is your load setup? Performance in your area? (we should have similar results, climate wise, I would think)

Sad to be burning for heat this time of year, isn't it! My wood furnace has been retired or we'd have been firing the last few nights. :(

I like the graph results, btw

Status
Not open for further replies.