1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New BK King install, first burns.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrianN, May 2, 2013.

1. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    I had my new King installed yesterday and lit my first burn in. Man, what a nasty smell :), I know, it's to be expected, and, it is all better now. We just cranked it up and opened all the windows. Surprisingly, the house was still getting warmer with all the windows open.
    So, after the smoke and smell cleared in the house, we closed the windows and I slowly turned the t-stat down to a desirable level. Then, I looked at the CAT t-stat and noticed it had passed the "active" zone. Is this going to do damage to the CAT?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So your cat probe indicated hotter than the active range? Those fresh cats are particularly responsive.
  3. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

Did you do your break-in fires first?
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    When it was new, my stove would peg the probe, if there was a peg. Like Highbeam said, the new cat will burn hot at first. It will settle down. Give it a little more air or open the bypass if it makes you nervous. An active flame leaves less smoke for the cat to burn. Also be aware that the probe is pretty slow to react. I read somewhere there is up to an eight minute lag time between what is really happening and what the probe shows.

Even though it is a Blaze King, we still need a picture. Just for proof ;)
  5. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    Break in fires? Umm, of course :)
    Here is the stove.
    King 1.jpg King 2.jpg King 3.jpg
    And here is the part I don't like about the install. Not sure if it is an Excel product problem, or, the installers didn't bring the correct part, but, the black outer sleeve is too short. Don't know if there is a longer sleeve available or not.
    King Chimney.jpg
    lopiliberty and raybonz like this.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That looks like they brought too long a horiz. pipe off of the tee, like an 18" instead of a 12".

I'd ask the installer to put in the right sized part.
  7. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    You could easily paint it with black stove paint....

You know, that looks very nice! A rarity for BK's! ;)

Enjoy and good luck with it!
  8. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

It probably has to do with some stove pipe heat clearance thing........I would just call them and ask them why they did it that way..

I would just paint it like Machria said.

Blaze King should come and take some photos of your setup and use them on a new brochure ....they would probably sell more of them. :) ........ Looks Great. !
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Cat should be fine.
    About the only way to hurt the cat is to open the door before bypassing, when it's cherry red.
    Burning stuff other than wood can ruin the cat too.
  10. webby3650

webby3650 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    It looks fine to me. They just should have painted it for you.
    By looking at the glass it looks like everything is going just as it should for a BK. ;lol
    Don't worry about the break-in fires, it's a steel stove. The only thing they really want to make sure of is that you cure the paint by keeping it around 500 degrees for the first few hours. I doubt it got any hotter than that.
  11. blueguy

blueguy Member

Loc:
    Rusagonis, NB, CANADA
    +1. My install uses the Excel piece like the OPs, and you cannot see any of the thimble. The black piece actually goes part way into the wall. The horizontal pipe length is what sets the distance.
  12. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Is the vertical pipe not actually plumb? It looks tilted in the photo. Really doesn't look like it was installed right. As said, looks like that thimble should be more in the wall. And if that's how professional installers do it, I think I'd want to do it myself (but then what do I know -- my only experience is with inserts and liners).
  13. webby3650

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    What you are seeing is a wall radiation shield. The black piece telescopes over it, it's made for all different wall thicknesses. They simply should have trimmed it back or painted it. No big deal. It's a double wall piece and the chimney passes through it. It could have been shorter, but then they would have used a piece of double wall pipe Instead. Same end result.

Attached Files:

14. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So that flange is bolted to the outside of the house and the longer side of the galvinized shield passes into the wall? It must be that long to be usable on a 12" thick wall!
  15. BrianN

BrianN Member

Loc:
    Central BC
    Yes, I realize that. There are an 18" and a 12" shield. The one they installed was the 18". If, they had used the 12", it would not have been a problem, and the black sleeve would have slid right into the wall. Not a problem.
  16. webby3650

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Yes, but it still isn't a problem. They used what they had with them.