New BK Princess - Break-in Fires Needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

I know I've read somewhere of the need for "break-in" fires in a new woodstove. As I recall, a couple of short (a la 20-minute) burns, allowing the stove to cool between them, before starting a regular, full-heat, hours-long burn was recommended. I can't recall what stove(s) that was for.

My new BK Princess is arriving today. Looking at the downloaded owners manual, I don't see any reference at all to the need for any sort of break-in.

Any advice?

I remember 3 years ago, when we first started using our wood stove, that there was some concern expressed in the Manual about odors that can be smelled, as the first burn burned off some sort of chemical coating in the stove. I didn't smell it.

If your stove has a Catalytic Converter in it, I don't know if those require a specific break in technique and will leave that to those who know; but I wondered that, since mine does not.

Our first burn was the same as the burns we've always done. I didn't take our stove through any form of "break in" process, and the stove has been fine, all along, .............no issues. What dictated the size of the fire, was the temp in the house.

-Soupy1957

There is nothing in my King manual either. Oh wait, it's the same manual. For a steel stove, you really just need to dry the firebrick out and cure the paint. I took it up to 350-400, then another one up to 550 or so, outside so I didn't have the stink in the house. Maybe I'll actually get it in the house in a couple of weeks :)

I installed mine in December.
started 24/7 burns right away.
Smoke & odor from mine.
I think a good wipe down would've helped prevent some of the smoke, but the odor will be noticeable IMO.
Some was off the stove pipe too.
I just opened the doors & windows & pulled the fire/CO detectors down. Sent family out to have diner while I aired the place out.
Let us know your experience.
Good luck,

You don't need to break it in, but it will stink terribly the first time you use it (and every time it gets hotter than it's ever been for a few weeks). Just throw the windows open, and put a fan in a nearby window sucking air out for the first few hours. Not a big deal.

It comes with an little card that says break in instructions.
IIRC you're supposed to do 450 for 30 min, then 600 for 30 min, then do whatever you want.

My first burn was 5 hours (I didn't follow any particular time... i just let the 3-4 logs burn that I had in there). I ran it from 4pm- 9pm, let it cool overnight, re-started the fire in the am, and have been burning it 24/7 every since (it's been 3 weeks now). I did note an odor during the entire initial burn and kept my windows open to air out the home, but it went away after that. I don't think the instruction manual said this, but on the window handle I had a tag which advised me to use a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol, and wipe down the exterior door trim (I have a satin finish). This is because there is some ?chemical on the door, and if you don't wipe it off prior to burning, the heat will leave any permanent markings (such as fingerprints) on it. If you don't have any trim (gold or satin), I assume you wouldn't need to do this.

Let us know how it goes.

Happy burning!

The first time the stove gets up to 600F it will stink. Open a window and place a fan in it blowing out to exhaust the fumes. This may happen with the next hot fire too, but after that no more.

Thanks gentlemen!

Indeed, your wisdom is spot-on. The stove arrived last night (albeit they shipped an Ultra model rather than the Parlor model I expected - more on that later, but no worries, that works) and, Hass, you're exactly right - there was a card on the door...

"Open doors and windows in the room with the stove. To speed dissipation of odor from the initial firing process, you can place a fan in the room...
... are non-toxic, but may be uncomfortable for babies, small children, pregnant women, elderly, pets...
Slowly bring the stove to a medium burn, about 400-degrees F, for about 45 minutes.
Increase the burn temperature to a hot burn, about 600-degrees F, for an additional 45-60 minutes."

I need one more 45-degree double-walled stovepipe elbow - the original one blew out of the truck - so I haven't been able to fire the stove up just yet. But the old Earth Stove is gone (RIP) and the new Princess is sitting there on the hearth. Hopefully tonight...

Pictures man; we need pictures.
Something that "new" deserves pictures. :) :lol:
With your weather , for the first fire you'll need all the doors & windows open just to be able to stay in the house.
Make sure the AC is turned off :)

Ouch, those 45°s aren't cheap.

lol I was close :p
I don't think the break in has anything to do with the stove, it's all about the paint curing.
Especially since the card came from the paint manufacturer and not blaze king :D

Status
Not open for further replies.