New BK Princess install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NHWS

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2022
NE of Seattle
It's been mid-to-high 50's here NW of Seattle. After a full load, with the stove on low, the house is staying in the mid-70's. About half the time I can relight from coals after 24 to 26 hours. Not really sure that using the stove is justified this early (compared to the NG furnace), but I'm practicing with it.

Took nearly a year from deciding to replace my unused 1970's Buck Stove to starting to use the new one.

Pix attached. More finishing trim to do, but the stove is usable.

Next: better woodsheds. Collect, cut, and split wood. More woodsheds. Rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat...:)

IMG_20230915_153935_scaled.jpg IMG_20230915_153915_cropped_scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Fall came like someone flipped a switch. We're burning electrons in this mild weather instead of a black box.

PS: Keep the grate out of the stove. That belongs in a fireplace.

Looking good! Fall came like someone flipped a switch. We're burning electrons in this mild weather instead of a black box.

PS: Keep the grate out of the stove. That belongs in a fireplace.
Fall certainly did arrive abruptly. Hoping that there will be at least a bit more nice weather in October (like last year). Finishing the garden harvest is more pleasant in sunshine.

Understand about the grate. It isn't being used in the stove. It's out of the 1970's Buck Stove, and is occasionally being used to keep logs off the floor while loading. Once I decide what to do with the old stove, the grate will likely go with it.

I've got power/NG bills going back years. When the next one arrives, I'll have a better idea of the value of burning a black box instead of NG. I have my own wood lot, so at least for the moment the cost of the wood is in time and exercise, not cash.

I started off practicing with the Princess using full loads burning on low. I'm currently practicing with smaller loads. I usually leave the NG furnace off overnight anyway. A half-load each morning seems to be enough with the current weather.

Learned a lot about tiling by putting in the pad and surround. The local Uzin rep was very helpful.