New Blaze King products?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Your comments please? Later this year (late summer) the Ashford 25!
View attachment 175969
What is the size of the glass on these inserts?. The main reason we went with FPX large hybrid was the huge glass and clean lines vs smaller glass and appliance-ish look of the Princess. BK might get a lot of customers who sees the fireplace as a centerpiece of the room, not a furnace.

Am I right assuming it's size is between the 30's and the 20's at about 2.5? That one right there would look great in my living room fireplace, I'll be a beta tester for you ==c
Yes...
What is the size of the glass on these inserts?. The main reason we went with FPX large hybrid was the huge glass and clean lines vs smaller glass and appliance-ish look of the Princess. BK might get a lot of customers who sees the fireplace as a centerpiece of the room, not a furnace.

The glass is 24" x 11". The door is much larger.

Reactions: Fulkrum78
Wow this might be just in time for my new log cabin house - BKVP, if you need a BETA tester on the east coast that burns hard woods give me a shout lol.

I was still fence sitting on whether to go for the Princess Insert or the PE Summit till I saw those... Assuming it will fit, I'm going to get one of those Ashfords....

Wow this might be just in time for my new log cabin house - BKVP, if you need a BETA tester on the east coast that burns hard woods give me a shout lol.
Thank you for the offer...will consider.

Is the 25 going to have the angled exhaust exit or flat?
Actually, it is angled. The design permits the 24" heavy duty flex flue adapter to be connected to the liner. Then reach up through the firebox, pull flue adapter down to firebox and secure from inside the firebox.

Hello,

Any confirmed numbers on front clearances to combustibles? That's been the killer in all the wood inserts I look at. My pellet stove sneaks by, but have had my eye on the BK's. Hoping for something quieter than the pellet stove, but want that control of the burn to run low if needed.

Thanks,

Earl

Hello,

Any confirmed numbers on front clearances to combustibles? That's been the killer in all the wood inserts I look at. My pellet stove sneaks by, but have had my eye on the BK's. Hoping for something quieter than the pellet stove, but want that control of the burn to run low if needed.

Thanks,

Earl
All wood products will be 16", some 18". Do a hearth extension. The benifit will be less noise, easily accessible fuel that's cheaper. Most of all real heat!!

Hello,

Thanks,

Earl
Measure out about 19.5" from the face of your fireplace. If you are in the USA, 16" + 3.5" for amount extending beyond face of fireplace. If in Canada, add another 2".

Measure out about 19.5" from the face of your fireplace. If you are in the USA, 16" + 3.5" for amount extending beyond face of fireplace. If in Canada, add another 2".
How far will that Ashford 25 be extending from the fireplace? Just curious so when I build my hearth, I can build it deep enough ;)

See above.

Reactions: Fulkrum78
Hey im all about the big boy. I have been saying i wanted to add another king ultra upstairs in my house. Can you say if a new model of a king is coming out?

Hey im all about the big boy. I have been saying i wanted to add another king ultra upstairs in my house. Can you say if a new model of a king is coming out?

That sounds sexy. Two huge stoves like that- with dry wood and good draft, you'll be reloading once every couple days. :)

Not this year, sorry. We have our hands full with the two new wood inserts and the gas product line.

Not this year, sorry. We have our hands full with the two new wood inserts and the gas product line.

Thanks for the quick Responce.

Reactions: jetsam
I would be very tempted to replace my King if there were ever an Ashford 40... just sayin'....

@BKVP when you test these inserts, do you use a mock-up masonry chimney to represent the as-installed configuration, or just set the insert by itself in the middle of the lab? I ask because I am interested in how much heat is being radiated/convected off the five covered sides vs. the front face? Most freestanding stoves seem to put most of the heat through the top and front face, but the other four sides also contribute significant heat. How much effort is made to insulate the covered sides of an insert, compared to the same freestanding stove?

BK VP - when will Blaze King introduce a "Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace" into the Blaze King product lineup? A ZC fireplace seems to be the only product missing at this point.

Thanks,
Matt

Gorgeous insert. I've been recommending BK to friends and it's good that those with fireplaces will be able to get something as good looking as my Ashford 30.

@BKVP when you test these inserts, do you use a mock-up masonry chimney to represent the as-installed configuration, or just set the insert by itself in the middle of the lab? I ask because I am interested in how much heat is being radiated/convected off the five covered sides vs. the front face? Most freestanding stoves seem to put most of the heat through the top and front face, but the other four sides also contribute significant heat. How much effort is made to insulate the covered sides of an insert, compared to the same freestanding stove?
Great questions. First, we must build a durable product that is serviceable. Second, in the case of inserts, it must fit as many applications as possible so that it has a payback at some point. In the USA, there are a wide variety of both masonry and factory built fireplaces of different sizes. In order to fit as many as possible, height, width and depth are critical.

We also need to make the installation as easy as possible. For the 25 series of inserts, the flue connector can be installed from inside the firebox. This permits the liner and supplied flex 24" flue adapter to be all assembled, slide the firebox into the fireplace and grab hold of the flue adapter and secure to the firebox. This also makes it more suitable to shorter fireplaces, those that are around 20" in height.

If we were too add to much insulation, you would cut back on other dimensions including firebox volume and fan/blower space. Writing of which, the dual blowers are mounted to two "sleds" and allows the fans to be fully removed without pulling the insert from the fireplace.

As for radiant heat, we have been burning this new unit for nearly two years. It burns hot, long on low and the glass stays pretty darn clean on most burn rates with dry wood. The emissions came in at under 1 gr/hr. This large piece of glass makes this as good a flush insert heater as any on the market!

We will have a release date in the next two weeks and dealers will be notified as to availability. The Sirocco 25 will be first and the Ashford 25 next. We are hoping to ship Ashford 25 units by September 1 2016. Much depends on our casting supplier in Belgium.

Got to go...in New Orleans at Hearth Expo!

Last edited:
Reactions: twd000
This large piece of glass makes this as good a flush insert heater as any on the market!

What is the performance hit going from semiflush to flush? For example, if I had the Ashford and the Princess inserts installed in the same fireplace burning the same wood under the same conditions, would the heat output be similar? How much of a difference?

Have fun in Nahwlens!

What is the performance hit going from semiflush to flush? For example, if I had the Ashford and the Princess inserts installed in the same fireplace burning the same wood under the same conditions, would the heat output be similar? How much of a difference?

Have fun in Nahwlens!
We have not done the comparison. Keeping in mind some offset for difference in glass square inches, 100% of the heat exchanger on flush mounts is behind the front of the fireplace and with the PI only 50% is behind.

I don't have actual thermal efficiency numbers with me but I recall the PI is about 3-4% more efficient.

Reactions: jetsam
We have not done the comparison. Keeping in mind some offset for difference in glass square inches, 100% of the heat exchanger on flush mounts is behind the front of the fireplace and with the PI only 50% is behind.

I don't have actual thermal efficiency numbers with me but I recall the PI is about 3-4% more efficient.

So you're saying that with the fans off, you will notice the diffeence, with fans on, not so much? I guess that's common sense anyway.

When you guys come out with the freestanding King with the wifi thermostat, 6" flue, and ice cream dispenser, I am going to rebuild my hearth and have a stove 100% out of the fireplace! ;)

Reactions: quotejso