New Boiler Stiffles burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szmaine

Jul 13, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
Our new oil boiler has finally been installed after 1 month with a dead boiler. It makes me feel like burning....OIL!
Quick, talk me back from the edge!!!

Ok, just kidding- but we probably are going to run out of wood before the heating season is over since we used up ALOT more wood trying to stay warm without the boiler especially during those really cold days. I have discoved that my Oslo just isn't up to the task by itself, we HAD to run the cook stove too. It has really made me realize that my days of putting off an ugly insulation job are over.

reaching....reaching....hand trembling...... :grrr: okay, okay, okay - I won't. ;-P

man, I wish I had taken pictures of the old boiler coming out of the basement....but I didn't. Three burly guys couldn't do it so my husband dragged it up with the bucket of the backhoe. I was pretty nervous, the basement entry is access UNDER the porch, you have to lift the floor of the porch (it comes up in two sections) and hook it to the house, steep granite block stairs lead to the basement and he had to reach under the porch roof to get it - very hairy! New boiler is all shiney and red, like a Ferrari parked in a root cellar - waiting to be driven....

I think the answer is more wood. Actually I probaby have 5-6 cords, (8 ft ?) logs up back, but can't seem to get my husband to process it in advance - I got no problem buying more if it won't be left to rot and/or running out at the end of the season.
We ran out end of last season too - that was the first year with the Oslo. Seems like any change throws things off.

Gonna get the missus a "cookstove"?

Kind of a funny thing on the "missus" and the "cookstove". I'm the main cook in the house, so I think she just wants one 'cause of the cool factor.
I'd be the one doing all the work, just as with the woodstove.
Um, yeah.....no.
I retired to simplify my life, not make it more difficult, and yet, here I am using a woodstove for the first time in my life. Go figure.
Gotcha on the wood. I still have 5 cord from a log load delivered almost 2 years ago. 20 cord. It'll be done this year.
It's all part of my master plan. buhahaha :coolsmile:

Nothing wrong with a new, efficient and reliable oil boiler . . . I have a Pensotti myself (guessing you might possibly have a Biasi???) . . . and it's nice to have that reliable and efficient oil boiler on stand by in case we're away on vacation or need a bit of extra heat with the temps dip below zero . . . or when you and your spouse are both sick.

Yes, a Biasi - they wanted to do a Pensotti but I was pinching the pennies and Biasi is well thought off too. Got a boilermate along with it so I'll be very intersted to see the electric bill when we have a whole billing cycle with the thing..

and, yes, I do feel great peace of mind returning to to me - it's no fun to be cold but it even less fun worrying about frozen pipes!

szmaine said:
Yes, a Biasi - they wanted to do a Pensotti but I was pinching the pennies and Biasi is well thought off too. Got a boilermate along with it so I'll be very intersted to see the electric bill when we have a whole billing cycle with the thing..

and, yes, I do feel great peace of mind returning to to me - it's no fun to be cold but it even less fun worrying about frozen pipes!

Thought so . . . I inspect a few oil boilers here and there in my job . . . both Pensotti and Biasi are good brands . . . you should be happy with your Biasi.

firefighterjake said:
szmaine said:

Thought so . . . I inspect a few oil boilers here and there in my job . . . both Pensotti and Biasi are good brands . . . you should be happy with your Biasi.

Italian brands are they? The Italians are good with boilers?

gyrfalcon said:
firefighterjake said:
szmaine said:

Italian brands are they? The Italians are good with boilers?

For some reason . . . yes . . . very good with oil boilers . . . there are a few other boilers out there that seem to be pretty well built too though . . . just around here these two are some of the more desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.