New Buck Stove Model 21 for $900.45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
I, I'm new here. Been lurking a few days. I'm waiting on my installer to schedule a time to come install my Buck 21. I got it out in Mesopotamia in Trumbull Co Ohio at Shetler's, a local Amish shop. I took a few visits out there, then had their installer stop by my way when he was in the neighborhood. He gave me a recommendation on the Buck. It was between the 21 and a Pacific Energy Vista insert.

I went with the Buck for three reasons. It was the installer's recommendation and the owner of the sales shop agreed it was a good stove. It was about $600 less than the Vista. And it is rated for a smaller area. My amish installer wanted to make sure that this stove has to work so it'll stay relatively clean.

Our house is a 1910 ranch that was originally 700 square feet with an 800 square foot addition from 1953, forming an L. The fireplace sits on the far, long end of the L, in the family room. It will heat the family room (where we spend all our time), the dining room, and hopefully the kitchen, in addition to the front hall. I'm not sure we'll get much heat down at the bedroom end.

The rest of the house is heated with Arab Juice. I'd like to dump the stuff altogether, but will hold out until we add on in 3 to 5 years. Ours is formerly a 3 bed 1 bath house, currently 2 bed 1 bath.

Interesting to see that nobody has a Buck Stove on here, let alone a stove as small as mine.

Attachments

• houseplan.JPG
    houseplan.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 720
Oh, and thanks in advance for all of the great information out here. You guys are schooling me.

Some pictures of the house to give you an idea of layout. These were from 2 years ago when we bought it.

1) Front of house
2) Rear of house with chimney
3) Before photos of fireplace
4) Back in the woods
5) Can I cook these in my insert?

Attachments

• ry%3D3204.jpg
    ry%3D3204.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 724
  • ry%3D3203.jpg
    ry%3D3203.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 705
  • y1pWJGgsmceKgruPsPTn8HwNI9cHEztxfrWPnRzcVcbEK0E_1K53RDyli0kTr-GBwcC.jpg
    y1pWJGgsmceKgruPsPTn8HwNI9cHEztxfrWPnRzcVcbEK0E_1K53RDyli0kTr-GBwcC.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 661
  • ry%3D3205.jpg
    ry%3D3205.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 709
  • y1p2FqpdXRPj6WnCB-koxMAtbhfvresBoiJgQVcqoMPamAENg4bgSzssKCWMA7Et5Im.jpg
    y1p2FqpdXRPj6WnCB-koxMAtbhfvresBoiJgQVcqoMPamAENg4bgSzssKCWMA7Et5Im.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 663
And some "work in process" and "now" pics

1) Altering the fireplace due to vaulted ceiling
2) Rough in
3) Paint goes up
4) View into dining room, front hall, kitchen.
5) View from kitchen pass-thru
6) The supervisors with fireplace in background

Attachments

• y1pCFp4aOc2OGE9mNXo3K2cef7vnrFkEnrxU1vFBorz6rETt6Qygj3sE9W6NjQoKHz0.jpg
    y1pCFp4aOc2OGE9mNXo3K2cef7vnrFkEnrxU1vFBorz6rETt6Qygj3sE9W6NjQoKHz0.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 693
  • y1p_QFupOVTsHYGkeOldyzf6zhg_AvToBP8jKbX21wwkgzihMkRwS-QyMvBYmImtEyZ.jpg
    y1p_QFupOVTsHYGkeOldyzf6zhg_AvToBP8jKbX21wwkgzihMkRwS-QyMvBYmImtEyZ.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 691
  • y1p0Xq3cqUSy3Ggs7Uzsn1lna74VllsGzGg7GeUcAw8irezc6uEPBG4bm8ZF1Eh3TtF.jpg
    y1p0Xq3cqUSy3Ggs7Uzsn1lna74VllsGzGg7GeUcAw8irezc6uEPBG4bm8ZF1Eh3TtF.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 699
  • y1pNMGaM3xR5L109gqmFzKSoMBRXE2hDQpIrFYk8DauCNg7kCu7fEN__MerjPKRdTFx.jpg
    y1pNMGaM3xR5L109gqmFzKSoMBRXE2hDQpIrFYk8DauCNg7kCu7fEN__MerjPKRdTFx.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 665
  • y1pW50h41nJPNGmfQv3EyIi5vr6Jm6h3XldYQnGcD3CNp57HJWxT8wTFEcFz-q-IW9F.jpg
    y1pW50h41nJPNGmfQv3EyIi5vr6Jm6h3XldYQnGcD3CNp57HJWxT8wTFEcFz-q-IW9F.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 300057811_RZuiK-XL.jpg
    300057811_RZuiK-XL.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 719
Wow, nice work in the family room. I had to look twice to see that it was the same room.

I don't know about the length of the the power cord, but I do know that Buck stoves have been popular in the Midwest region for quite some time, and have a reputation for solidly built stoves.

As for the size of the stove, I believe it is about the same size as several of the stoves talked about around here, so don't feel inadequate in that regard. :) I think the small englander, the VC Intrepid, some of the Morso and Jotul cast stoves are about the same size, if not smaller. It is much smaller than most of the Buck stoves that were sold around here in the 70's and 80's.

Welcome, and thanks for posting the photos. Looks like a real nice place you have there.

Hi, the power cord for our stove fan was 6 ft...we had a plug installed. Nice house, I think a ceiling fan up in that vaulted ceiling would serve you well.

btw never heard of a buck stove either but but I'm still new to these EPA stoves.

Ouch, I might have to install an outlet. Closest is 7.5 feet away. Can you run these on an extension cord? Probably not.

Thanks for the comments on the family room. It was an old, beat up house that was owned by the same family since 1948. The bedroom door still had kids heights from that year on it. Despite being really rough, it had good bones, and we got what was a unique property around here.

We do have a ceiling fan in the middle of the vault :)

[quote author="derecskey" date="1214635193"]Ouch, I might have to install an outlet. Closest is 7.5 feet away. Can you run these on an extension cord? Probably not.
I run my Buckstove on an extention, not even a heavy duty one. It's just a fan, doesn't draw much electricity.

All that work all while having a baby? Wish I had that initiative(9 month old running around), I can't seem to find the time/energy to even stack the wood I got delivered a month ago. Looks great!

I looked at Buck stoves when I bought my new stove last year and I just did not find one from them I liked that was not a cat.
I have not heard anything bad about them and I have a couple of friends that burn them.

The new look is AWESOME! nice job! Congrats on the new baby, and the new stove!

Thanks all. Our first baby girl was born in March of this year. Most of the work on the house happened 2 years ago when we bought it.

I'll have to make y'all really jealous some time and post a closeup of our hardwoods. The refinishing of those floors was one of the only things I contracted out. 1953 red oak (possibly Bruce?) with walnut pegs at the end of each board. Our floor contains flat, rift, and quarter sawn wood, which really gives it a great look. We had him put a chestnut stain and satin finish on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.