New Build with Harman Accentra Insert and Fisher Papa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 4, 2010
I am building a house and wanted to share some pics of our stove installation with you. I have been an avid reader of this forum for a while and your advice helped me decide on this route for my install.

A bit of background on my burning: I have burned wood for 10 years now. I have burned with a Fisher Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear (in different houses) and currently a Craft Stove insert. I have access to all the firewood I will ever need and all the tools (hydraulic splitter, Stihl 064, MS310, 025) to keep me stocked up as well as my father and grandfather.

I (or maybe the wife) just got tired of all the mess with wood, but I still love the fact that you can create your own heat with it. This is our compromise: A pellet burner on the main level and my Fisher Papa Bear in the basement.

The house would be best described as an A-Frame with two wings on a full daylight basement. We have the Harman Accentra Insert in the main living area so she can just pour some pellets in the hopper instead of wrestling firewood. I wanted the Fisher in the basement so we can have heat even if the power goes out.

This is the stove installed. The hearth is not built yet, You can see the pipe from the basement here. accentra1.jpg Side view of framing. accentra2.jpg

Right side showing both venting.accentra3.jpg Another view of the front accentra4.jpg

Perspective shot showing main living area, windows and view! accentra5.jpg

Rear of installation. This shows the zero clearance box the stove is mounted in.
accentra6.jpg Basement install with the Fisher Papa Bear. fisher1.jpg

Fisher showing the non-combustible shield on the corner wall. fisher2.jpg

Another pic of the Fisher.fisher3.jpg Pic of the Fisher from the rear. fisher4.jpg

Looks like I reached the 10 pic max for this post. I welcome any comments on this install, let me know what you think!

Some pics of the venting details. venting1.jpg Another venting pic. venting2.jpg

I've heard something about this pellet pig thing on this forum. Has anyone actually designed their house with a pellet storage area?
This is in the garage, offset so the cars can still park in there. pellet storage1.jpg A little dark, but still fine for a couple of tons of pellets pellet storage2.jpg, Pellet storage. pellet storage3.jpg This was off the front deck this morning! view.jpg

I hope I uploaded these pictures right, this is my first post in a while.

Looks great...congrats on the new build, fine house and view you have...

I see flex duct lines....must be for AC......what is your main heating/cooling system?

That is beautiful! Congratulations. It is a dream of mine to one day build my own house. That view is remarkable. May the house and the stoves be a blessing to you and your family for years to come.

Reactions: 5654684
x2

Looks great...congrats on the new build, fine house and view you have...

I see flex duct lines....must be for AC......what is your main heating/cooling system?

Our main system is a Trane heat pump. The air handler unit was installed over the kids bedrooms. We have two air intakes in the house (one on each wing), so when we burn in the winter, we can easily heat it all with the Harman with just the system fan (hopefully).

It might sound a little crazy to install a new heat pump system on a new house just for summer AC and backup heat in the winter, but that is what we are doing. The stove and the two installs were way over our budget, but we still did it.

Its almost as if hes building the house around the stoves. Its almost cheating if its not a project, boring through concrete. Its look fantastic so far. great view

Reactions: 5654684
Its almost as if hes building the house around the stoves.

That is exactly what we have done. It should be much easier to heat a house with one main area and two wings than to set up a system of fans to blow air down hallways.

I chose to go with our local Harman dealer to do all the installs for us and have been pleased with the work. I am a landscape contractor/nursery retailer by trade, so I let them do the stove work and I will make it up by doing the retaining wall and landscaping on my own.

Very nice. Ahhhh where is the beer fridge?

Eric

The guard dogs protecting the stove is a nice touch;). Looks great and toasty warm....

uploadfromtaptalk1356319473743.jpg
This is today's pic of the basement. Beer fridge is on the left next to my recliner the wife banished to the basement. I got the wood racks set up - one kindling and one cordwood. This stove is mainly for occasional use and backup in case of a power outage. I will start using it on the colder nights now. It got down to 20F last night and the accentra insert could only keep the house at 69 on room temp set at 75 and feed rate at 6. Part of the reason for this is the ash pan was full and the heat exchanger needed to be brushed off. I did that this morning. I am also burning old dominions right now and have not burned a good pellet yet (at least according to the reviews here). I also have vaulted ceilings in half of the 1688 sq ft house so I have more cubic feet to heat.
I also know that there will be a lot of heat loss into the concrete floor and block walls. These fishers also eat wood like crazy. They also throw out a lot of heat.

As far as I understand the code here in NC, you can install any old stove you own as long as you have proper venting and maintain 36 inches of clearance to combustibles (for non UL listed stoves). This fisher has a UL label, but the c2c is still 32-36 inches. I know it is a horrible polluter, but it is only the backup stove. I can't imagine keeping up with burn days like you do out west.

In Washington State it is not good enough to have an EPA phase II stove. Washington actually has lower particulate standards than the EPA. The inpectors do check the stoves and a non compliant stove would result in not getting a Certificate of Occupancy.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/indoor_woodsmoke/wood_smoke_page.htm

I have no problem with less government intrusion myself.

Peace

Brad

I had a little fun tonight with the stove. Around 11 PM, I kept hearing the stove trying to start. The combustion blower went out. Luckily, the local stove guys that clean the chimney heard it going bad about a year and half ago. They ordered me a replacement, but we never got it installed. I have had that part for a year and a half, but tonight I had to put it in. It was actually really easy to install, less than 20 minutes. I also have a igniter on hand for when it goes out. Lesson: keep those parts on hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.