New Burner-to-be, Plan critique/questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Savem for backups

Finally got a pic of the final install and initial burn. Thanks for all the advice so far.
First fires in our first house sure make for some tense moments...leading to a couple questions.
Everyone's advice on this thread has been helping ease my nerves.
But like a newb, I placed a few super dry unknown splits (possibly basswood) on a bed of hot, unraked coals last night, and the thing took right off.
It was probably about our 4th fire, so when it started kicking the 'break-in' smell returned. Measuring the temp both with a magnetic stove-pipe thermometer placed center above the door and the IR gun that came in the mail yesterday--the temps topped out at 650 with the magnetic and about 580 with the IR gun aimed just next to the magnetic above the door. Air was closed down all the way by about 450 on the magnetic.
At one point, I thought I caught a wisp of some smoke coming out from behind the right side of the surround, but it was gone before I could decide if it was just my own shadow.
Anyway, this morning, took off the surround just to investigate. Found a small burnt track on the foil face of the liner insulation (pic attached) and found the insulation itself to be pretty stiff and brittle compared to when I wrapped the liner.
Is the stiffness standard for liner insulation after heating? Or did I push it a bit too hard? My suspicion for the burnt track was some of the glue from attaching the insulation was on the foil and charred right up. Or am I just making excuses?
Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Installation details: PE Super into an old heatilator, single wall insulated flex liner, block off plate with roxul stuffed to the gills.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 77
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.