NEW CAPE COD INSERT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

URB

Jun 3, 2015
Pennsylvania
OUR NEW INSERT FROM LOPI. SEEMS TO WORK WELL BUT WRONG TIME OF YEAR TO TELL. I'VE BEEN READING THESE FORUMS FOR A WHILE AND JUST JOINED AFTER THE INSTALL. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. THANKS

1.JPG 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: baseroom
One of the best looking inserts ever made.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. My folk's had a Lopi & they loved it.

Love the large glass!

It works good. It heats my house well. Does a nice fire show. It's a good stove. It's my first one so nothing to compare to.

Congratulation on the new stove and welcome. PLEASE LOSE THE CAPS LOCK! You're coming through loud and clear, no need to shout. :)

Reactions: tarzan
Thanks prezes13 that's good to know. We were looking for something that looks good and to help with electric heat. It's our first stove also so looking forward to learning how to use it. Not much about it on-line. We have a ranch house so hoping elec. bill goes down.

Thanks begreen, Sorry for the CAP LOCKS. I work in Surveying/Civil Eng. Field, all the mapping I do is with CAPs, so its just a habit to leave them on. Not meant to yell :)

No problem. Thanks for posting the pics.

How is the wood supply? Modern stoves are much more particular about burning fully seasoned wood in order to get best performance. For several species of hardwood this means 2yrs drying time after being split and stacked.

Reactions: iamlucky13
Your welcome begreen... wood supply is pretty sad at the moment. I found a local supplier who seems to have pretty good wood. I bought some for the test fires and it burned well. 70 bucks for a pickup truck load. Thinking i may have to buy a couple of cords from him then just start adding to the pile. I also need to build a wood shed (no walls) for a place to store.

OH, I also have the greenstart add on. Wasn't sure if it would work at first but it really surprised me at how good it starts the fire burning. Even the installer didn't think much of it at first, till he saw it working. He tried to talk me out of it then said "wow that's cool" when we tried it... it blows hot air for 7 to 8 minutes then just air to kept the fire going..

PS. I had to rewrite part of this due to CAP LOCKS being left on... hahhaaahhaaa....

My stove doesn't have the green start. Your wood have to be dry, $70 for a pick up load of seasoned wood sounds like a steal. Stove works great with well seasoned wood. I don't have much of a flue maybe 15' and with dry wood stove can produce great secondaries and a lot of heat. I don't know how many sf you have but my 1200 sf I can heat pretty nice with this stove.

Hey prezes13, Thanks for the reply. I don't have much of a flue either. I think its just under 15 foot mark. The installer was worried about it, said i may need an extension on chimney, but it seems to have a good draft and he was happy with it. It's all new to me so just learning. My house is just over 2,000 Sg. Ft. Ranch with all elec. baseboard heat. We had a propane log in the open fireplace and it heated that room somewhat but no where else in the house. I'm thinking this should work a lot better.

Ranch homes often are hot at the stove end of the house and cool at the far bedroom end. Besides the distance the hallway acts as a choke point. To improve heat circulation try this trick next winter. Put a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove room. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running.

Thanks for the advice begreen, I will keep that in mind for next year's heating season. The room the insert is in is on the longest back wall of the house close to the middle of the wall, kitchen on one side bedrooms on other. The hallway has an opening with some spindles in it, so hoping this will help with the heat down the hall. We also have central air, all located in the ceiling. I can run just the fan, return is in the hallway, not sure if this will help any. thanks.

I have a raised ranch roughly 1200sf. Living room dining room and kitchen have a vaulted ceiling and it's one open space about 700sf area. In the winter I keep that part in mid 70s anything above 76 is too hot. I often close door to my bedroom so it's nice and cool for sleeping. It's going to be my fourth year with this stove every year it performs better due to better wood supply and better understand in how to operate the stove.

Urb, how did Greenstart work for you this season? I'm thinking of buying the Lopi Rockport, and the greenstart seems great, but I'm reading that it takes 15 minutes and the compressor is loud. How did it work for you?

I don't have the stove yet, but should be installing a Lopi Evergreen with Green start. I can report back soon.
I was going to get the Cape Cod but was just too big for my room, and the wife didn't like the expense.

Lopi has made a couple videos of the Green Start in action. Of course, their own videos are intended make it look good, but it does appear to work, and the videos show their recommended loading process well:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lopi+green+start

It seems that it doesn't take 15 minutes to get a flame - one of the videos I watched had the first flames show up in less than 90 seconds with clearly nice, dry kindling. It runs 15 minutes to ensure a good start. I have no idea about noise.

Hey kodaBear, the green start works great. It does run for about 15 minutes total. about 7 min with heat and another 7 or so it just blows air in to get the fire burning. You can also double press the button to get just air to restart the fire. The fire gets burning well way before the green start shuts off. You do need to put some kindling near the hole where the hot air comes in, I usually add some newspaper also. After about 2 minutes it looks like a blowtorch inside the insert. You do hear the compressor running, but mine is installed under the floor in the basement, so its not so loud. We are not living in the house yet, still remodeling, so just about every day I have to start a fire and use the green start. It makes starting a fire easy. You can load up the wood hit the button and walk away, if you want to. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. We love the Cape Cod. raises the temp about 10 degrees on one load of wood. can't wait till next year when we are in the house full time to see how it works.

Reactions: Espartaco
looks very nice! one thing you might find to improve its performance when you're in there full time is a block off plate.

Congratulation on the new stove and welcome. PLEASE LOSE THE CAPS LOCK! You're coming through loud and clear, no need to shout. :)
Hahahaha - glad I'm not the only one that has there inside their head reading voice go to shouting mode when everything is in caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.