New CB 1200i owner...brand new stove not working :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmabug

Feb 1, 2010
Northern California
Brand new unit will not fire for the first time; it won't drop pellets :( Yellow light is flashing 3 times continuously, call light is on. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what the yellow light means. Also, I was under the impression that the fan is supposed to shut off after running for 10 minutes and it will not shut off. We've read the entire manual and nothing we've tried has worked. If anyone can please help me I would greatly appriciate it!! I have a cold house and a fustrated husband!!!! Thank you!

Unplug the stove for five minutes and try again... make sure all the doors are closed including the hopper door... what kind of stove is a CB 1200i?

The CB 1200i is a Quadra Fire. It's a Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 insert :) Thank you for the help, but it didn't work. It feels like nothing is working right. The fan won't shut off, the stove won't ignite and it won't drop pellets. Plus, the light is flashing yellow and I cannot find a thing about a yellow light. I was hoping someone may know what that means? This is a new stove, so it's totally clean. I've read some on snap cisc failure, but I'm not clear on which snap disc controls what....maybe I missed that in the manual, but I didn't see where it told me that info.

Thank you kindly,
Jamie

Hi and welcome to the forum. I took a look at your owners manual on the 1200i and it looks to me like your thermocouple might not be seated properly.

I found this in the manual in the trouble shooting section:

Appliance calls for heat.
Call light illuminates.
Exhaust blower starts.
No feed or igniter.
Thermocouple is defective or not properly
plugged in.
Defective control box
Check connections on thermocouple or
replace if defective.
A flashing yellow light on the control box
indicates a problem with the thermocouple

It mentions the flashing yellow light as a thermocouple problem, also it says the unit calls for heat, call light is on, blower runs, no pellets feed, this seems to be an indication of thermocouple problems.

You might also try to press the reset button after you plug it back in but I would check to see that the thermocouple is properly seated as it shows in the owners manual. Sometimes its something very simple that causes the stove not to light.

Good luck, I hope that works for you.

Since it is a brand new stove just installed, there is a good chance that your control box got shaken loose in the shipment and handling. UNPLUG THE STOVE. Then unseat your control box (there might be a bracket holding it) and then reseat it tightly. Plug it back in and fire it up!

Karmabug said:
Brand new unit will not fire for the first time; it won't drop pellets :( Yellow light is flashing 3 times continuously, call light is on. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what the yellow light means. Also, I was under the impression that the fan is supposed to shut off after running for 10 minutes and it will not shut off. We've read the entire manual and nothing we've tried has worked. If anyone can please help me I would greatly appriciate it!! I have a cold house and a fustrated husband!!!! Thank you!

Just curious...did you install the stove, or did someone do the install for you?? If you paid to have it installed, part of the installation is firing the stove up, and showing the new owner how it runs, the controls, etc, etc.

Nicholas440 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum. I took a look at your owners manual on the 1200i and it looks to me like your thermocouple might not be seated properly.

I found this in the manual in the trouble shooting section:

Appliance calls for heat.
Call light illuminates.
Exhaust blower starts.
No feed or igniter.
Thermocouple is defective or not properly
plugged in.
Defective control box
Check connections on thermocouple or
replace if defective.
A flashing yellow light on the control box
indicates a problem with the thermocouple

It mentions the flashing yellow light as a thermocouple problem, also it says the unit calls for heat, call light is on, blower runs, no pellets feed, this seems to be an indication of thermocouple problems.

You might also try to press the reset button after you plug it back in but I would check to see that the thermocouple is properly seated as it shows in the owners manual. Sometimes its something very simple that causes the stove not to light.

Good luck, I hope that works for you.

Thank you; I am happy to have found this forum :) I cannot believe you found something about the flashing yellow light. Three people, not including myself, were looking at the manual for information on it and no one found anything, even the DVD that came with the stove didn't say a thing. I appreciate the infomation! Since we are unable to get a technician out here sooner than a couple days, my husband's been able to talk with some tech support who is looking into the problem. They are suspecting that it's may be the thermocoupler, but they are thinking it may be wired wrong.....sheesh, out of all things!! If/when we figure something out I will let you know!

Thank you kindly,
Jamie

Thank you tjnamtiw and macman. My husband said him and his dad checked the control box and it seems to be fine. (That would have been awesome if that's what it was!). We installed it ourselves, so we didn't get that tech making sure it fired for the first time for us...haha!

Thank you for the help!
Jamie

Whoo hoo! We have a working pellet stove! The wires for the thermocoupler were wired wrong by the dealer. Of course we had to go through other dealers and technicians for any information because the dealer we bought the stove from is out of business.

I appreciate all your help!! Thank you,
Jamie

Great to hear, karmabug!

Now, as with all hearth.com members with new stove installs, you have to post some pics so we know it really did happen! Burning pics are especially appreciated.....LOL

Also, after you've run the stove for a while, a "review" would be nice, including what pellets your burning, etc.

Enjoy the heat!!

Just think of all you learned while troubleshooting it. So many other things that can cause problems............ :eek:)

tjnamtiw said:
Just think of all you learned while troubleshooting it. So many other things that can cause problems............ :eek:)

Yes, very ture! We learned a lot and I feel more familiar with our new stove already. I'm really glad it turned out to be something easily fixed, haha! It can be intimidating to see all the gadgets and things that can go wrong with a pellet stove (especially when all we had before was an ancient wood stove....quite simple...lol), but I'm thinking it is worth it. Especially with all the great support ;) We'll just make sure to keep up on the maintenance properly and hopefully we won't have any major problems!

Hey, we're all in it together so why not help? I'm a first year burner too but have learned a lot already. One thing for sure that I've learned is that the pellets are too damn expensive and the stoves' efficiencies are lousy because of the antique heat transfer design. But I still love new toys!!!

Haha, well, so far I'm liking our pellet stove. I do notice that when it shuts off the house cools down really fast; as with a wood stove it's a lot slower cooldown time, but it's all good. Pellets are expensive for sure, but we seem to be ending up paying a ton for regular wood as well. If we did the math right, the pellets actually may be cheaper for us than getting wood. Plus the storage of the pellets over wood will be a lot easier ;)

Yea, I notice that the room cools down faster than it used to when I had the wood burner but that's because the stove was a heck of a lot hotter and the brick chimney was really warm, which kept giving off heat kind of like a tile stove. With the pellet stove everything stays 'relatively' cooler, especially the brick face of the chimney, which doesn't get hot at all.

Yes, that's true! We have a rock fireplace and the woodstove would heat the rocks up and having the same lasting warmth effect, but the pellet stove doesn't heat the rocks up..or at least only a few which doesn't do much for lasting heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.