New Chain Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I have a Husky Rancher with a 20 inch bar. I just ran down to nubs, and I am in need of a new one. In the past, I have always just gone to the local hardware store and purchased the husky chain that they stocked. I can certainly do the same thing again, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on a different brand or type of chain that may be worth checking into. What are your favorite chains?

trumpeterb said:
I have a Husky Rancher with a 20 inch bar. I just ran down to nubs, and I am in need of a new one. In the past, I have always just gone to the local hardware store and purchased the husky chain that they stocked. I can certainly do the same thing again, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on a different brand or type of chain that may be worth checking into. What are your favorite chains?

If it was me I would take the old chain to a real saw shop, hand it to the guy behind the counter and say "I would like this in a skip tooth, round bit configuration, please."

That is exactly what I would do.

Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

If it was me I would take the old chain to a real saw shop, hand it to the guy behind the counter and say "I would like this in a skip tooth, round bit configuration, please."

By "round bit" do you mean "chipper chain" as preferred by many for possibly dirty wood?

OP: If you normally have your chain sharpened with a grinder, you can greatly extend chain life by hand-filing with a guide. (See Granberg's guide.)

CTYank said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

By "round bit" do you mean "chipper chain" as preferred by many for possibly dirty wood?

No. I mean round bit.

TreePointer said:
Favorite chain = Stihl RSC.

Get it from your local Stihl Dealer.

That is what I would run on that saw as well. I would buy two actually. You will find it stays sharper longer than other brands. The file size is different so you'll need some other files.

That saw is probably running .325 pitch chain. 'They no makey skip in that.

Bigg_Redd said:
CTYank said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

No. I mean round bit.

Okay. Point to one please, or p/n. (Not inclined to make stuff up, including usages of English.)

That is all. Seats.

Stihl RSC . . . my Husquvarna dealer sells this chain just since they said it does quite well.

MarkinNC said:
TreePointer said:
Favorite chain = Stihl RSC.
The file size is different so you'll need some other files.
My 3/8†Stihl RS chain calls for a 13/64 file but I use a slightly larger 7/32 as I’m not cutting really hard stuff. It changes the angle just enough to hold an edge longer.

13/64 and 7/32 are so close in diameter that you can use either on 3/8 pitch chain.

Some even use both on the same chain. Something like this: 13/64 for the first few filings, 7/64 for the majority life of the teeth, and 13/64 for the last 1/3 of tooth life.

CTYank said:
Bigg_Redd said:
CTYank said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

No. I mean round bit.

Okay. Point to one please, or p/n. (Not inclined to make stuff up, including usages of English.)

That is all. Seats.

Here is a brand new one.

Attachments

• Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 522
Hard to tell from Redd's photo but that looks like Stihl RMF chain to me. (3/8" Pitch, Round File, Semi-chisel, Full Skip)

MasterMech said:
Hard to tell from Redd's photo but that looks like Stihl RMF chain to me. (3/8" Pitch, Round File, Semi-chisel, Full Skip)

No idea about the nomenclature, but when I tell my Stihl dealer - the same dealer I've been dealing with literally my whole life - "gimme a round bit skip tooth chain for my 25" barred 440" that is what he hands me.

I stopped into my local Stihl dealer yesterday and picked up an RSC chain. They did not have a skip tooth, so I had to get the standard configuration. Wow what a great cuttin chain. It is so much more aggressive than the Husqvarna chain I was running. Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of a skip tooth chain over a traditional configuration?

While there's nothing wrong with using it, skip tooth chain isn't necessary on a 455 w/20" bar, IMO.

Reasons for skip tooth:

1. You want to run a longer bar & chain than the saw can effectively pull if you used full compliment chain. (Saw is underpowered for bar length.)

2. When cutting large diameter trees with long bars, the longer interval between teeth on skip tooth chain provides a larger place for chips to be conveyed/cleared out of the cut.

3. It takes less time to sharpen a skip tooth chain.

trumpeterb said:
I stopped into my local Stihl dealer yesterday and picked up an RSC chain. They did not have a skip tooth, so I had to get the standard configuration. Wow what a great cuttin chain. It is so much more aggressive than the Husqvarna chain I was running. Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of a skip tooth chain over a traditional configuration?

The advantage is half the teeth to file

Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

Disadvantage is half the teeth to cut. I am back into mulberry and black locust. 460 20inch bar Its like plowing snow.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

Disadvantage is half the teeth to cut. I am back into mulberry and black locust. 460 20inch bar Its like plowing snow.

Put a skip tooth chisel-bit on that 20" bar. You'll still plow snow. And have 1/2 the teeth to file.

Half the teeth doing twice the work only means you have to file more often. Works out to about the same filing.

Skip tooth advantage is when you don't have enough horses to pull the chain or you have a long blade in softwood and making more chips than there is room between the cutters.

Just cuz you have a 20" blade doesn't mean you have all 20 inches in the cut all the time.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

Put a skip tooth chisel-bit on that 20" bar. You'll still plow snow. And have 1/2 the teeth to file.

Yea I hear yea. Now there is now way a skip in this set up will do as well as full comp. Its some hard hardwood and 72 drive links is like a toy to me at this point.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb said:

Yea I hear yea. Now there is now way a skip in this set up will do as well as full comp. Its some hard hardwood and 72 drive links is like a toy to me at this point.

At what point would that 460 need a skip.

LLigetfa said:
Half the teeth doing twice the work only means you have to file more often. Works out to about the same filing.

Skip tooth advantage is when you don't have enough horses to pull the chain or you have a long blade in softwood and making more chips than there is room between the cutters.

Just cuz you have a 20" blade doesn't mean you have all 20 inches in the cut all the time.

+1
Tried the skip tooth on 20" bar. Not as fast cutting. Not trying them again for cutting fire wood with my 20"
Now my back up chain. But depends on the saw HP/bar length. 55 cc with 20" bar, regular chain should work well.

trumpeterb:
Chain is somewhat specialized for what you are cutting.
Clean wood, dirty wood, size bar/hp.
I like the Oregon 72LGX or LPX, not normally sold at box stores, Should be a Oregon dealer near you. 72 Drive Link , (DL); about $20.
I'm trying the Stihl RSC ($23 - $27) , basically same tooth as LGX just Stihl has harder steel & suppose to stay sharp long but harder to sharpen than Oregon. (Don't know yet)
These are round chisel chain. More kick back, but they cut fast,
I was amazed when I first used an LGX compared to what I could get at the hardware stores. Much better saw performance ;)
My wood is normally pretty clean, no mud or much dirt in the bark.

Try a chisel, I bet you'll see a performance improvement. I notice a significant improvement.

Some research links:
Stihl chain: http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html#PMC

Oregon: http://www.oregonchain.ca/products/sawchain/38.shtm#72V

Husqvarna : http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/accessories/product-accessories/chains/

I have a 24" bar on my stihl and a 20 inch bar on my husky and when I go cut wood, I take 6 sharp chains each with me and never file in the woods, just change a chain, then take my chains to the saw shop. I run a skip tooth full chisel square cut and cut only fir. I have had all the chains and did my own filing, no more, wood cutting is hard enough with out fighting a dull chain. The husky will just throw the chips and hardly slow down on a 36 inch log. Problem is, I am buying trees cut down in people yards and oh boy, the nails kid go through!!!! Tim

tim1 said:
I have a 24" bar on my stihl and a 20 inch bar on my husky and when I go cut wood, I take 6 sharp chains each with me and never file in the woods, just change a chain, then take my chains to the saw shop. I run a skip tooth full chisel square cut and cut only fir. I have had all the chains and did my own filing, no more, wood cutting is hard enough with out fighting a dull chain. The husky will just throw the chips and hardly slow down on a 36 inch log. Problem is, I am buying trees cut down in people yards and oh boy, the nails kid go through!!!! Tim

Been there with nails, some were my nails :)
Even found a bullet, but it didn't dull the teeth.
Yard & property line trees are the worst for imbedded nails & wires.
I hear square cut chisel is fast cutting. If I used square, I'd have them sharpened too. (difficult to file)
What brand chain yo use?

stihl, he buys it by the bulk roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.