New Chain Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
Half the teeth doing twice the work only means you have to file more often. Works out to about the same filing.

Skip tooth advantage is when you don't have enough horses to pull the chain or you have a long blade in softwood and making more chips than there is room between the cutters.

Just cuz you have a 20" blade doesn't mean you have all 20 inches in the cut all the time.

+1

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
trumpeterb" date="1323884574 said:
I stopped into my local Stihl dealer yesterday and picked up an RSC chain. They did not have a skip tooth, so I had to get the standard configuration. Wow what a great cuttin chain. It is so much more aggressive than the Husqvarna chain I was running. Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of a skip tooth chain over a traditional configuration?

The advantage is half the teeth to file

Disadvantage is half the teeth to cut. I am back into mulberry and black locust. 460 20inch bar Its like plowing snow.

Put a skip tooth chisel-bit on that 20" bar. You'll still plow snow. And have 1/2 the teeth to file.

Yea I hear yea. Now there is now way a skip in this set up will do as well as full comp. Its some hard hardwood and 72 drive links is like a toy to me at this point.

At what point would that 460 need a skip.

28 its starts to have advantage and disadvantages (depends on wood type). 32 is full skip only.

Status
Not open for further replies.