NEw chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAred

Nov 18, 2005
I was lucky enough to get a chain saw for christmas It's a husQvarna 142 e series. My dad did some checking around and got pointed to this one. 16'' bar and 40cc it seems like it should get the job done. esepicaly for small diameter pine that I plan on cutting next summer what do ya think?

I think you will find that the saw performs very well for its intended purpose, small diameter trees and limbing. I actually prefer using my smaller saw for cutting most of the time. Less fatigue at the end of the day. What kind of pine do you intend on cutting? Out here on the East Coast I cut and burn white pine. It may not last long but when its seasoned it sure puts on quite a show in the form of flames. Congrats on the new saw.

Oh just your everyday lodge pole pine or at least thats what they call them here in colorado I think They have a name...... I'm not very good at tree names.

I have cut down a slue of hardwoods much bigger than the bar with my 141. Plent of power but keep it sharp as its not a really fast cutting chain. I like the weight of the saw or rather lack of it. Keep an eye on the carb bolts on that Husky. I got a new one under warranty due to it somehow sucking one in and busting the crank and piston. Husky said it had happened more than a few times. Damned if I can figure how it got under the air filter but it can.

I enthusiastically second everything downeast just said.

Congrats on bringing up TSI, downeast! Are you a member of SWOAM?

After years of resistance, it seems that almost all new saws now have inertial chain brkes, EvenAmericam manufacturers have been dragged along and forced to consider the safety of those who purchase their products like the European saws which have been using these brakes for years. Even pathetic Poulan now advertises their inertial braking system on the boxes they sell their saws in in discount stores. Now, the question arises: Are all inertial braking systems equal? Are they equally fast and reliable? I know no way to test them and haven't been able to get any answers from dealers. Dave Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.