New chainsaw advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinj said:
gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:
My thoughts when picking the MS310 were that if you're not cutting wood to make a living I think it's harder to justify spending the coin on a pro level saw. I don't think you'll find many guys cutting sub-10 cord a year complain about the performance, weight, etc. of any of the mid-level saws you can get from the more popular brands. A couple extra pounds on a saw can make a big difference for the guy cutting all day, every day. But for the guy going out 5, 6, 10 times a year? Not so sure.....

But again, as I stated above, if money was no object I would own an MS361 just because it's cool. I'd also own a brand new Corvette - but not because I need one to haul my saw around. ha.
the 310 books out at 419.00 that is in the same price range as the 260 pro 5100 and the husky! The 310 has 9 more cc's than the pro saws he's thinking about and "3 pounds heavier". If I wear fighting alot of under brush in the woods weight and balance is going to become very important! IMO out in the open I would go with the more power of the 310!

So you're saying the 310 may not be the answer when fighting under brush?
no its not! go light short bar for better balance and your still in the same price range (16 in. bar in the woods should be perfect) 18 in if you must!

OK. Thanks. Just wanted to clarify

smokinj said:
stee6043 said:
My thoughts when picking the MS310 were that if you're not cutting wood to make a living I think it's harder to justify spending the coin on a pro level saw. I don't think you'll find many guys cutting sub-10 cord a year complain about the performance, weight, etc. of any of the mid-level saws you can get from the more popular brands. A couple extra pounds on a saw can make a big difference for the guy cutting all day, every day. But for the guy going out 5, 6, 10 times a year? Not so sure.....

But again, as I stated above, if money was no object I would own an MS361 just because it's cool. I'd also own a brand new Corvette - but not because I need one to haul my saw around. ha.
the 310 books out at 419.00 that is in the same price range as the 260 pro 5100 and the husky! The 310 has 9 more cc's than the pro saws he's thinking about and "3 pounds heavier". If I wear fighting alot of under brush in the woods weight and balance is going to become very important! IMO out in the open I would go with the more power of the 310!

With a 200 acre wood lot I wouldn't be fight brush at all.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

what would you be fighting?

gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

I'm saying you have 200 acres. Don't fight any brush regardless of what saw you buy.

Bigg_Redd said:
gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

I'm saying you have 200 acres. Don't fight any brush regardless of what saw you buy.
he's cutting the dead wood out you have to go where its at!

smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

what would you be fighting?

The 10-12 cord I cut every year wouldn't even begin to touch a 200 acre wood lot even with the greatest of mismanagement.

smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

In many cases I agree. But a huge wood lot changes the equation. He could fall the 5 or six cord worth of trees closest to his truck every year and still GAIN biomass.

your still have to go in there no matter what lighter more balance saw vs heavier and a little more power price being the same (for the woods) No question the 260 wins over the 310!

smokinj said:
Bigg_Redd said:
gator21 said:
smokinj said:
stee6043 said:

Exactly. Sometimes fighting the brush unavoidable. Most of the wood lot is not too bad, but there's a section that was badly forested many years ago. I'm cleaning out he junk so the young oaks, hardwoods, etc can re-establish themselves.

Also, we've been cutting wood on the property for the last 30 years (although not nearly as much as now) so the "close to the truck cutting" doesn't happen very often.

I have using a Sthil 034 since 1993. Not a problem yet . Last year I bought my son a Sthil MS250. I thought a smaller saw for a new homeowner would be o.k. since I had a bigger saw if ever the need occured.

Recently I had a mess of trees knocked over with an excavator. I was cutting them up with the 034 and manuvering around the trees and branches with the 034 got tireing. I started using the MS250 and was suprised how much power it had. It is noticably lighter and easier to handle. I would strongly consider this saw for general use. I think I paid about $300.00 for it a year ago.

RPK

RPK1 said:
I have using a Sthil 034 since 1993. Not a problem yet . Last year I bought my son a Sthil MS250. I thought a smaller saw for a new homeowner would be o.k. since I had a bigger saw if ever the need occured.

Recently I had a mess of trees knocked over with an excavator. I was cutting them up with the 034 and manuvering around the trees and branches with the 034 got tireing. I started using the MS250 and was suprised how much power it had. It is noticably lighter and easier to handle. I would strongly consider this saw for general use. I think I paid about $300.00 for it a year ago.

RPK

I can agree with that! I had the ms180(8.8lbs) great little saw just wasnt going to fold up in the long haul, sold it and went with the 260 10.6lb)

I've had my 5100s for just over a year now and paid $379.00 for it. I've cut about 10+ cords with it since early May 2008.
At 50cc/3.9 hp it cuts like a ***** aped. I would recommend the saw to anyone who has a good dealer near them. With an 11.2 lb powerhead,
it's a really well balanced saw. I've posted an old video of it ripping through some white oak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmKWhsg6UkU

Good Luck with your purchase!
WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
I've had my 5100s for just over a year now and paid $379.00 for it. I've cut about 10+ cords with it since early May 2008.
At 50cc/3.9 hp it cuts like a ***** aped. I would recommend the saw to anyone who has a good dealer near them. With an 11.2 lb powerhead,
it's a really well balanced saw. I've posted an old video of it ripping through some white oak.

WoodButcher
what size bar you running on the vid?

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Thanks for the input. I've heard these saws are set a little lean from the factory. Did you adjust yours to run richer?

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Whats rocking back and forth/dancing with the saw all about? Looks like alot of extra work. Is there a reason? Just wondering. :coolhmm:
N of 60

I thank everyone for the input. I just got back from purchasing a 5100S! The dealer was very good. Set the saw up before I left. He will re-check the rpms after break-in. He's been dealing in these saws for three years and has only had one brought back with a scorched cylinder. Wasn't the saw's fault. The guy ran bad gas and "turned up" the rpms. It was the second saw he burnt up that day! Regardless the saw was replaced......no questions asked.

I spent $375.00 +tax out the door (including a spare chain).

Ran one tank of gas through the saw and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face yet! If it continues to run this well, I'll be one happy camper!

FYI. I did check out the ms310. And it was a close second. It just seemed a little heavy to me. I also looked at the ms260. Handled about the same as the 5100, but cost $100 more.

Thanks again for all your input.

gator21 said:
I thank everyone for the input. I just got back from purchasing a 5100S! The dealer was very good. Set the saw up before I left. He will re-check the rpms after break-in. He's been dealing in these saws for three years and has only had one brought back with a scorched cylinder. Wasn't the saw's fault. The guy ran bad gas and "turned up" the rpms. It was the second saw he burnt up that day! Regardless the saw was replaced......no questions asked.

I spent $375.00 +tax out the door (including a spare chain).

Ran one tank of gas through the saw and haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face yet! If it continues to run this well, I'll be one happy camper!

FYI. I did check out the ms310. And it was a close second. It just seemed a little heavy to me. I also looked at the ms260. Handled about the same as the 5100, but cost $100 more.

Thanks again for all your input.
Congrats! now get to work!!! lol sure your going to be happy with it for a long time! great power and balance light weight sounds like a great woods saw to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.