New Chainsaw Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom NJ

Dec 9, 2010
Burlington County, NJ
So, I am doing a remodel job for my in-laws and I asked them to get me a new chainsaw as payment. I didn't want anything for helping them out, but they were insisting and planning on giving me a significant amount of cash, so I suggested a chainsaw. Anyway, I really don't know much about saws. I have a 16" Eager Beaver, but need something at least 18". I use my father Homelite frequently, but I don't care for it much. So, any suggestions on what is a good 18" saw?

Thanks,

Tom

261 stihl or 362 stihl and you will never need another saw unless you straight gas it.

Ditto. With a couple extra RSC chains, case, 2-stroke oil, bar oil, chaps, helmet, gloves, titanium-toe boots, earmuffs, goggles, and a scarf that blows in the wind like WWI pilots.

S

I like the Dolmar/Makita brand saw's

50cc saw Dolmar PS-5104
64cc saw Makita DCS6421

Both saw's are made by Dolmar in Germany and are top quality. Goto arboristsite.com and look in the chainsaw forum. Ask a few questions.

Good luck
Dave

big question: What do you plan to use it for?

Just wondering if you want the biggest, strongest saw for bucking cord after cord or maybe a lighter, general use saw for limbing and clean up.

How many cords/year bucking?

If someone else is footing the bill a pro saw 357xp or stihl 361 just my 2 cents

I would go for a used pro saw vs a new homeowner saw like a Wood/Farm Boss. I'm blown away with the used Makita 6401 I just got for 140 bucks. I'm sure a similar spec'd, pro level Stihl or Husky would be a good choice too. My little 026 is a great little saw too, it was just overwhelmed by the 30"+ diameter cottonwoods I sometimes have to process. Also, is local dealer support important to you? That may steer your decision a bit.

estang said:
If someone else is footing the bill a pro saw 357xp or stihl 361 just my 2 cents

+1 on that... you could probably get that done with a 261... would be a little lighter but the 361/2 would be nice and you could go up to 20" bar very easily.

I'd go with the 261 over the 290 if it came down to a horse race, though

Exmasonite said:
estang said:

+1 on that... you could probably get that done with a 261... would be a little lighter but the 361/2 would be nice and you could go up to 20" bar very easily.

smokinjay said:
Exmasonite said:
estang said:

880 LOL Why not steer him toward a nice little all purpose saw like a 660 Jay? A C

amateur cutter said:
smokinjay said:
Exmasonite said:
estang said:

880 LOL Why not steer him toward a nice little all purpose saw like a 660 Jay? A C

660 may not handle the large ones. Never have to bend over even on top of a large log. Just point and shot with a 60inch cannon bar. Never need a pole saw either.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like Stihl is the overall favorite and I think it is the make I will go with. Just not nailed down on the model yet.

Tom NJ said:
Thanks for all the input. It looks like Stihl is the overall favorite and I think it is the make I will go with. Just not nailed down on the model yet.

cant go wrong for and all around saw 310,390,261,361!

Tom NJ said:

Get a Husky 346XP........ if you can't, then skip the fat bottomed Farm boss and get a 261/361 Stihl.

Okay, I give up.

I've been reading these Stihl threads for months now and comparing the specs online. The specs, pricing, and recommendations don't make sense to me, so help me understand.

Assuming we compare 16" bars (these also take 18" or 20"), here's what I've found:

The cheapest, the 290 Farm Boss, costs $349, weighs 13#, has a 3.8 bhp engine, and takes a 67-tooth, .325"/.063" (pitch/gauge) chain, on an 11 tooth
sprocket (it'll also take a .375"/.050", 60-tooth on a 10-tooth sprocket);

The 270/271 Wood Boss, costs $429, weighs 11.7#, has a smaller 3.4 bhp engine, and takes the same .325" chain as the 290 (but won't take a .375");

The 261 costs $559, weighs 11.6#, has a 3.75 bhp engine, and takes the same chains as the 290 Farm Boss.

So, if you compare to the baseline Farm Boss, the 261 costs $210 more, weighs 1.4# less, has a slightly less powerful engine, and takes the same chains.
The 270/271 costs $80 more, weighs 1.3# less, has an even less powerful engine, and has less chain flexibility.

I don't get it. Why spend spend $210 more just for 1.4# less weight? Or spend $80 more for 1.3# less weight and a 10.5% less powerful engine?

The specs never tell the whole story of a saws power and handling....... or else people that use saws often/professionally would never buy them.

The weight is a consideration as well as a non clam shell design.

The 290 Farm Boss is anemic to say the least stock and is heavy.

The bottom line is a Husky 346XP is well worth a $100 more than the Stihl 290.

HittinSteel said:
The specs never tell the whole story of a saws power and handling....... or else people that use saws often/professionally would never buy them.

+1 But if your just doing firewood every now and then the price point looks different.

HittinSteel said:

If I'm mostly using the saw to buck downed trees in a small area, I don't see that a pound of weight is a major issue (if I'm only using it an hour or two at a time, then split for an hour or two).

Clam shell design vs. another design? Why should that be a big issue?

How do you measure "anemic"? Seems like there should be some measure of how quickly a saw cuts through a given log. Horsepower is the only spec they show...what else can be used to compare saws?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't get it.

P.S. Jay and HS, I was typing while you were posting. You seem to be saying that the 290 could be right for my application?

HittinSteel said:
I agree totally Jay

I still say 880 or 3120 60inch cannon bar. lol

Yes the 290 could very well be right for your application.

I reread my post and I come across as a saw snob. Nothing wrong with the stihl, husky etc. homeowner saws. I'm personally a saw enthusiast and enjoy the pro saws (I generally buy used).

The clamshell design is just harder to rebuild than the pro designs.....but that may and should not necessarily matter if you take care of the saw.

My only measurement of anemic is comparing saws that I have run personally. With a good sharp chain, the 290 will do just fine.

Again, saws are a hobby of mine so my opinions are certainly different than someone that just wants to cut firewood.

Correct me if I am wrong but after reading a lot of posts about chainsaws, the stihl 361 could be the pick of the litter, I am thinking about a new saw before I retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.