new chainsaw - MS 250 w 18" bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would look into dropping another $100 and get a Husq 460 with a 20" bar. I've been very happy with mine. Keep the chain sharp and cuts through everything like butter. I dropped an approx 60'-70' Ash on Sunday and had it completely felled and rounded out in under an hour. I had my son use my ms250 to limb while I worked from the base up. Used my buddy's DHT 27 ton and within 3 hours I had about a cord of CSS Ash racked for 2016-17. It was hard work, but 17 year olds have a lot of energy, and I'm only 25, so, ya know..... ;)

I've been satisified with my MS250. I can't say how well it compares to other saws in the price range, but it feels better than in my hands than the Husqvarna equivalent did.

I forget if I have the 16" or 18" offhand, but it definitely goes slow when fully engaged in the log. For the amount I use it, that's fine. As others have noted, it's for users who only burn a couple tanks a year and want something that runs better and lasts longer than the budget saws.

I have noticed that it is extremely sensitive to stale gas. I neglected to drain the tank once because I had more cutting to do. I didn't get around to it for a month. It absolutely refused to start. I drained the tank and put fresh fuel in and it fired right up.

In contrast, I forgot to drain my Husqvarna trimmer one fall (same fuel mix), and it fired up fine the next spring.

Quick update, I'm pleased with the saw, know I could have got something more performing but and easy to keep sharp
- got 8 little piles of mix of ash, silver maple, locust, and a bit of apple for smoking on the bbq.

splitting and stacking is my next task...

IMG_20150430_205814.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.