New Chainsaw - Purchased

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 455 Chris and it's a good saw albeit a bit on the heavy side. I cut with a friends 359 a couple times compared to my 455 and the difference wasn't that huge performance wise.

However there is a night and day difference between the 455 and the 372XP. The 372XP has almost the same weight as my 455 but it's a TON more powerful. I cut a 24" log last night on a friends property and the saw didn't drag a bit.

Very happy with the saw so far.

PS. take those spikes of the front. Useless in most cases and people mostly use them to force a dull saw through the wood. Wrong!!!

Steel dogs are very useful when felling trees. Those stay where they are.

TMonters power house saw.. HUSKY POWER BABY!

Yeppers , keep the dogs .. The 372 has a great standard size , you can get larger 5 point dogs for gnarly bark if needbe.

NOW GO CUT SOME WOOD TM ! ;-)

(pic: monster 5 point 372xp dogs shown w/ stock)

Attachments

• dogs.JPG
    dogs.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 395
Maybe for you Western guys......

But I always take the dogs off a new saw--right after removing the spark arrestor screen.

Eric Johnson said:
Maybe for you Western guys......

But I always take the dogs off a new saw--right after removing the spark arrestor screen.

I tried to fell a large tree (28") with a friends saw with no dogs and it was a PITA and made my back hurt like he(( .

EJ , are you talking taking the dogs off to buck smaller trees and limbing? , then i can see that with a small saw but a 72cc saw bucking and or felling trees with out dogs is a lot of extra work IMO.

My saws have 16, 18 and 20-inch bars and I've always found that the dogs rob me of an inch or two of bar length, which can come in handy when felling. Other than that, I just don't see the need for them when making an open-face notch and backcut for felling trees up to 24 inches on the stump. When bucking firewood blocks, I usually stand to the left of the felled stem and make my cut with the top of the bar, cutting through the stem from the right to the left. No need for dogs when doing that, either.

Everybody's got their own way of working. I guess I just don't see where they would be useful. With a sharp chain, I just hold on to both handles and let it cut.

No dogs on my 372 or my 460. I keep a 16" on the 372 and a 20" on the 460. I can cut 28" trees with no problem with the 16". Like Eric said the dogs rob you of bar length and the longer the bar the slower the saw cuts! Plus I find when notching and bore cutting the dogs grab and don't allow the saw to slide along the tree nice and smooth.

Craig

I will give up my bucking spikes when they pry Ole Yaller out of my cold dead hands.

Oh, oh, BB - What happened to your avatar? Hope that's not an englander defect, and it shrink when it heats up :lol:

Wow! A convertible stove! It adjusts to the length of wood you happen to have on hand.

Can you build one of those, Corie?

Well I ran the saw this last weekend for a couple logs. I'm very impressed, it cuts a lot better than my 455. I thinking the 455 is going to get a 20" bar and the spare 24" will be saved for my 372XP. I really appreciate all the feedback people here gave me on which saw to buy.

I just wish I had done more research when I bought my 455, I might have ended up with a 359. Oh well now I have a good backup saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.