NEW CHAINSAW RECOMMENDATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JeffRey30747 said:
I placed an order for a 6401 w/ Bailey's on Monday for a coworker of mine. They are on backorder but I do not know for how long.
I got an email last night stating that it had shipped, so it didn't stay on backorder long.

I have three Stihl dealers within 10 miles of me. I bought my 029 in 1996 and it has never been to any of those dealers. I don't know how important it is to have a good dealer nearby, especially if you are using the saw a few times a year to cut your 4 or 5 cords like I do. The 029/MS290 is pretty god all around saw. Mine has a 20'' bar and I have cut 40" Oak with it and limbed trees off a ladder with it. It is a little heavy, but I'm not using it all day every day so its not such a big deal.

Danno77 said:
mobetter said:
you need a 440, 660 ,880
mobetter is right, you need an 880.

As an 880 (and 3120xp) owner, I can tell you this is not a saw many people would want to use often! I'm a fairly strong guy, but working with these saws for any period of time will wear you down pretty quick! The powerhead alone (w/o the bar and chain) has to be over 25 lbs. Now the 660 on the other hand is a must own saw! :cheese:

seems to me there is a bit of competition between the saw brands and alot of the talk is for bigger saws. With what you are looking for a midsized stihl , husky ,or dolmar would work fine . The 250 thru 290 with a 16 or 18 bar would work for most of your needs. The local dealer is handy for getting chains sharpened and PPE
the number of refurbed huskies worries me a bit why are there so many around ?

mobetter said:
I love "what to buy threads" They always escalate to "you need a 440, 660 ,880. People just love to spend others money.

I'm pretty new to this forum, but when I saw the title and the number of posts, I just knew I'd see the digits 361/362, 390, 440, 460 etc. etc. with the Dolmar/Makita, Jred, Huskie numary equivalnts popping up too.

Didn't read every post, but didn't see anyone mention getting a modded out 372xp.

I'm with the guys voting for the 260. Just plain old great all around saw. The 290 is probably the best overall value in the non-pro lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.