New chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncwood

Oct 11, 2008
NC
Went out and bought a new stihl ms 361 this morning.My husky 350 needed a playmate.Gawd this 361 can do some cutting .Thanks :cheese: for all the saw info it helped a lot in my decision on which saw to buy

ncwood said:
Went out and bought a new stihl ms 361 this morning.My husky 350 needed a playmate.Gawd this 361 can do some cutting .Thanks :cheese: for all the saw info it helped a lot in my decision on which saw to buy
You be happy with that

Congrats on the new addition ! What's next on the list ?

skinnykid said:
I wanted ( still want) a Stihl but can't afford the big $$.
It's not big money because you only have to spend it once. not once every three or four years.

Agreed fatty,
If you can swing the cost, it will run longer per cost. Along with that, you will cut more wood for the most part than the homeowner saws. I've never been sad with a pro saw. Cut plenty so I'm pleased that the saws have never failed me.
For the 361 itself, see if you can put a HO oiler on it from the 460. It was a great upgrade for me (I like to see plenty of oil coming off my saw). I also put on a full face and second set of teeth with a full wrap. Great in the NE as you can flip the saw to cut face and back cuts from the same side.
Mine is now the go to saw for those in between trees. It will cut like the ***** ape in the 18ish oak.
Chad

ncwood said:

I have been cutting fire wood for 36 years. I started out with a Stihl 031. It lasted about 25 years. Now I have an 034. I am planning on taking that saw to the grave.

RPK1

ncwood said:

Good combination! Did the same here. Husky 350, and now a 2-week old MS 361. Problem with getting two saws is that you will want a third, then a fourth, and so on.
Next on the list for me, a MS 460. Or maybe a 660. Or better yet, both!

Clinker,
I agree with what you have said. Not because I just want saws, but because you realize how well each saw cuts the wood you need it to cut. I'll swap saws every time I need to cut something smaller usually working from the butt to the cover (not always). I'll use a 28" bar on the solo is the tree is large for the trunk, but won't keep using it once it gets to be around 20". From there the 361 gets the job. I usually head to the tops and use the tophandle to cut away the branches that aren't very large and I won't use. These go to about 6" or so, until it starts to bog. Playing around with many saws will let you realize how much better more saws are for cutting lots of wood than one is. If I had to pick one, it would either be my 361 or the 372. Both are great saws.
Have fun with the new saw, make sure you use PPE and you will have a great many years of cutting.
Chad

chad3 said:
Clinker,
I agree with what you have said. Not because I just want saws, but because you realize how well each saw cuts the wood you need it to cut. I'll swap saws every time I need to cut something smaller usually working from the butt to the cover (not always). I'll use a 28" bar on the solo is the tree is large for the trunk, but won't keep using it once it gets to be around 20". From there the 361 gets the job. I usually head to the tops and use the tophandle to cut away the branches that aren't very large and I won't use. These go to about 6" or so, until it starts to bog. Playing around with many saws will let you realize how much better more saws are for cutting lots of wood than one is. If I had to pick one, it would either be my 361 or the 372. Both are great saws.
Have fun with the new saw, make sure you use PPE and you will have a great many years of cutting.
Chad

"PPE"?

I'm asking because I'm about to "upgrade" to the Stihl 361 tomorrow (10-year anniversary present) from a Husky 455 rancher.

Spikem said:
chad3 said:
Clinker,
Chad

"PPE"?

I'm asking because I'm about to "upgrade" to the Stihl 361 tomorrow (10-year anniversary present) from a Husky 455 rancher.
personal protection equiment

Ah, thanks.

Yep, I've got that stuff, except for chaps.

Look at Labonville.com for the chaps. Ones they have there are pretty good and quite reasonable. Make sure you read on the sizes though. You have to measure to make sure you get the right ones.
Chad

ncwood said:

Uh-Oh. . . a Stihl? All the cool kids are buying Dolmars. Don't you want to be cool?

I was gonna be a cool kid too but found a real good deal on a Deere/efco 62cc with 20" bar. So looks like I will be runnin Green and Yellow for a while. I hear it is a fine saw.

I bought a 361 a few weeks back, amazing how well it runs. The wife complained about the price for a bit until I explained that the saw will last 15-20 years. Enjoy your new saw.

aandabooks said:
What chain did you get on it?

Well, I didn't get the safety chain. They put on - and it might just be a term they used - an "aggressive" ("aggressor") chain.

Did I make a mistake in what I got?

I cannot wait to get going with this!

Nah , you'll love thee aggressive chain.Let the wood chips fly ! The other chain just helps reduce kickback.

Check to see if it has a yellow link or green link in the chain. Yellow is what you want. Very good chain.

Congrats on the new saw. If you want to do a muffler mod on it in the future, there is an excellent thread on that over at arboristsite. It is a sticky in the chainsaw forum.

As long as it not green you are good to go (hmm, green). I just talked another pal into a 361, it is a great one saw saw. I'd be happy with just that one, although after seeing a stock one after mine, I'm still glad I did a bit to it. They still run very well. Still hoping about the PPE. Only other thing I made sure (just because), was an ES bar. If I could replace the tip over the bar, good for me. If you taco, all bets are off, but..
Chad

aandabooks said:
Check to see if it has a yellow link or green link in the chain. Yellow is what you want. Very good chain.

Congrats on the new saw. If you want to do a muffler mod on it in the future, there is an excellent thread on that over at arboristsite. It is a sticky in the chainsaw forum.

Yep, I've got the yellow. (What does that mean, by the way?)

Also, what does the muffler modification do? I'll guess and go with "more power".

Status
Not open for further replies.