new chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steviep

Aug 13, 2008
southeast NH
Bought my new 357xp Husky this weekend . Really impresed with this saw , much better than my old Mccullen Timberbear. Only thing I wish I had ordered it with the optional remote because it is to hot to realy use it right now.

That Timber Bear is the 55cc version of my old 60cc Pro Mac 610. I kinda miss that saw. Well, except for the day it exploded into flames in my hands in the woods and set my shirt on fire. After I put me out I cleared the leaves from around it and got behind a tree and watched it burn to the ground. First the gas. Next the oil and finally the aluminum lit off in a white hot burn.

Enjoy that new saw.

Nice saw…My dream saw gowning up was the egar beaver.(This was in the 70’s) I got a Lombard. Hated that saw…..

smokinjay said:
Nice saw…My dream saw gowning up was the egar beaver.(This was in the 70’s) I got a Lombard. Hated that saw…..

Still looking (in way off future now unless I win LOTTO) for SP125 w/ 36" bar.

Had Pro Mac 610 with 24" bar bought for the Mill,used it 5 months until it quit.Lesson learned haha.Replaced it with the 475,then bought the Super 380 a few yrs later for regular firewood cutting.The 380 has equal power,30% more RPMs (13.5K) and weighs 1/3rd less than that damn Mac.It does 80% of my work now,except when I find the big ones.

Plus even after 11 yrs,it still starts in 2-3 pulls max,hot or cold.Which is more than I can say for that POS Mac,even when it was new. :lol:

The poor little 357XP. Hardly any fans for that saw because a bit more cash buys you a 372. No matter, I really love mine, it is a powerful and very smooth running saw.

What size bar did you get with it? Mine was used and came with a 20" bar, but I bought an 18" that I have run on it since I owned it. I just put the 20" back on it to give it a try. Just need a load of logs now.

I got it with the 20 inch bar but the nice thing is My bother in law works for a dealer so I got it at cost and they also threw in 2 extra chains. the biggest reason I bought this saw is that a friend of mine who works for a tree care company has one and let me try it for a couple of weeks. I could have got a stiel if I wanted but I liked the feel of the husky better.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Had Pro Mac 610 with 24" bar bought for the Mill,used it 5 months until it quit.Lesson learned haha.Replaced it with the 475,then bought the Super 380 a few yrs later for regular firewood cutting.The 380 has equal power,30% more RPMs (13.5K) and weighs 1/3rd less than that damn Mac.It does 80% of my work now,except when I find the big ones.

Plus even after 11 yrs,it still starts in 2-3 pulls max,hot or cold.Which is more than I can say for that POS Mac,even when it was new. :lol:

I was around 13 in the blizzard of 78 with a brochure no inter-net.... :lol:

Thistle said:
I'm with ya. For now the Super 250 will do, but still need to get a big bar on it.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

:lol: So you're getting to be an old fart like me now.Thought you might be close to my age ;-)

Kids today are spoiled,I had B & W TV,3 channels,no cable until I left home, rotary phone etc lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

:lol: So you're getting to be an old fart like me now.Thought you might be close to my age ;-)

Kids today are spoiled,I had B & W TV,3 channels,no cable until I left home, rotary phone etc lol

Hey, don't knock that old rotary - I have a 3-slot pay that is used as the secondary phone; in the kitchen; and a primary phone during black-outs........ Damn cordless don't work w/out power; and the same w/the cells - no power = no workie!!

My parents had a remote, color T.V. with about 6 channels; depending on weather conditions.
The remote did have 2 legs thou...... ;-)

PJF1313 said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Hey, don't knock that old rotary - I have a 3-slot pay that is used as the secondary phone; in the kitchen; and a primary phone during black-outs........ Damn cordless don't work w/out power; and the same w/the cells - no power = no workie!!

My parents had a remote, color T.V. with about 6 channels; depending on weather conditions.

We had a 2 party line.....

BrotherBart said:
That Timber Bear is the 55cc version of my old 60cc Pro Mac 610. I kinda miss that saw. Well, except for the day it exploded into flames in my hands in the woods and set my shirt on fire. After I put me out I cleared the leaves from around it and got behind a tree and watched it burn to the ground. First the gas. Next the oil and finally the aluminum lit off in a white hot burn.

Enjoy that new saw.

You don't carry an extinguisher with you BB? That's one of my three safety items I carry being a woodsman helmet, chaps and the extinguisher.

PJF1313 said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

About this same time period we had the old black rotary wall phone, a 19" color tv with cable and "Star Channel" on top of the box. 2-13 we got. Spoiled rotten kid...that was me.

Our phone number was also only 5 digits. Source of endless confusion when they moved to the 7 number local calling and I had to rememorize my phone number.

steviep said:
I got it with the 20 inch bar but the nice thing is My bother in law works for a dealer so I got it at cost and they also threw in 2 extra chains. the biggest reason I bought this saw is that a friend of mine who works for a tree care company has one and let me try it for a couple of weeks. I could have got a stiel if I wanted but I liked the feel of the husky better.

Probably because they're trying to move them out to make room for the 562's. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.