new chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a good quality chimney cap (topping a six inch pipe), but it has a very fine animal-proofing mesh. During our extremely cold winters, the mesh allows creosote to build up.

I like having the fine mesh in the summers, since we have bats, flying squirrels, and swifts where I live, but I'd like to get an open sided cap for winter (with only three or four support posts under the conical cap)

Our local fireplace shop has quoted me almost $400 for a cap, which seems much too high to me. I've seen very simple galvanized steel caps for as little as $20, but they seem too flimsy and prone to rust.

I live quite far from any suppliers, so I'd like to buy a cap online if possible, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

Anybody know of a good place to get a sturdy, good quality, open-sided cap?

My parameters:
* must ship to Canada
* must be good quality (stainless steel? Not sure what the best material is)
* must be easy to install, as I will swap it out with my other cap each spring and fall
* must be affordable (ideally less than $100, maybe $150 max)

Thanks in advance!

-Joel

Do you know what brand chimney pipe you have? One option to consider is to remove your current screen and keep the cap. Then in summer get some 1/8" or 1/4" screen from the hardware store and cut a strip of it to completely wrap around the opening. Wire tie in place. Remove in winter.

The other alternative is to figure out if there is something you can do to reduce screen clogging. Normally this is not an issue burning fully seasoned wood unless the flue gases are cooled down too much for other reasons.

Those screens are awful. Notorious for plugging up despite the best burning practices. I have simpson/duravent class A pipe chimney and the cap is able to be purchased online for a reasonable price. With or without the optional removable screen. See if your screen is removable. Even if you have to permanently remove it by cutting it out.

Some, very few, areas require the screens since the theory is that they act as a spark arrestor which I doubt. If your area requires it then you have to just keep cleaning it or enlarge the screen openings to the maximum allowed by that local law.

You will notice improved draft just by getting the screen out of there, it is a filter after all.

If animals are a problem in the summer, there are a few ways to temporarily rescreen the cap if you are willing and able to climb onto the roof spring and fall to deal with it.

Those screens are awful. Notorious for plugging up despite the best burning practices. I have simpson/duravent class A pipe chimney and the cap is able to be purchased online for a reasonable price. With or without the optional removable screen. See if your screen is removable. Even if you have to permanently remove it by cutting it out.

Some, very few, areas require the screens since the theory is that they act as a spark arrestor which I doubt. If your area requires it then you have to just keep cleaning it or enlarge the screen openings to the maximum allowed by that local law.

You will notice improved draft just by getting the screen out of there, it is a filter after all.

If animals are a problem in the summer, there are a few ways to temporarily rescreen the cap if you are willing and able to climb onto the roof spring and fall to deal with it.
Thank you for your reply. You mentioned being able to get the cap online. Do you know who is a good supplier. As I mentioned in my first post, I haven't had any luck.

Thanks,

-Joel

The cap should be matched to the chimney pipe brand. We don't know what chimney pipe this is. That's why I made the suggestion to just remove the screen and put a temporary screen on for the summer or just tie a bag over it.

I have this Roman Helmet. Wind directional cap. Custom made by this company www.famcomfg.com/

Approx. $70.

Keeps wind and rain out because it turns with the wind.

Attachments

• 151679-86706a9edd763c79acea373e794d6707.jpg
    151679-86706a9edd763c79acea373e794d6707.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 211
no idea on brand? Maybe a picture of the cap would let our pro members identify it.

There are several On-Line suppliers that carry caps and at least one has a custom shop also. Any good Stainless cap will begin around $100-$125 minimum, and most offer Free Shipping in the US or to a Border Crossing if you happen to be near one. Depending on what style you need, shipping into Canada will probable take you above the $150 limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.