New Chimney Cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
I'm thinking of putting a wood stove in my family room to cut down on heating costs in the house. I have an existing pre fab chimney that is connected to a propane gas insert with the fake logs, etc. There is glass in the front so it is entirely enclosed. It doesn't put out much heat at all. Anyway, could I get rid of this insert and somehow use the existing chimney for my stove. If so, how much are we talking money wise, and how much would it cost to leave all that stuff as is and just set the stove in the corner and have a guy build me a new chimney. Thanks

In the area of Canada where I have a summer home, I've been told that the cost for a new chimney is $100 per foot. That includes everything: brick, stainless steel liner and labor. I suspect it may be higher elsewhere.
Chip

I just installed a wood-stove in my living room, needed 1 piece 24" stove pipe, 1 36" telescoping stove pipe, 1 installation kit (which included rain cap, roof flashing, insulation sheild, ceiling hanger and thimble) and 2-36" sections of insulated chimney pipe. I also used about a dozen screws about the same amount of shingle nails, a tube of roofing tar and one of cold weather silicone. Total cost was about $500.00 Canadian and it took me about 1/2 a day to put it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.