New Chimney Gallery Theme - try again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good Craig. Now please don't make me dust off Internet Exploder again. :p

After I fixed Java it works great. The thumbs are much brighter, the pics are very clear and the format works well.

Works OK in Opera 9.20 on Linux, thumbnails look good, format is OK. Ditto for KDE Konquerer.

A few minor comments on the overall setup - NONE of these are "critical" failures, but they are things I noticed that might be fixable if it's not a big deal...

1. You have the picture number ranges for the pages at the top of the page, and a line "you are looking at page N" - but the previously viewed page links don't change color and it's a small nusiance to have to count the links at the top of the page to figure out which set maps to the page number. It might be better to say "You are looking at photo #'s A-B" just to be consistent.

2. The file names under the thumbnail photos aren't very informative, the notes in the photos are more so - don't know if it would be feasible to put the note info with the thumbnails, but would be cool if you could

3. It would be nice if the page thumbnail page forward / back buttons were replicated at the bottom of the screen as well as the top, avoid needing to scroll back to the top of the page just to go to the next one.

4. The "Back to Hearth.com Gallery" button on the individual shots was a bit confusing - I expected it to take me back to the page I came from, like the index button, not take me out of the chimney section.

Gooserider

Looks great and works just fine with explorer

Thanks, and good suggestions, Goose....

I can implement some of them....

As far as the links back to Hearth.com, some of that is designed so that when a person lands in the gallery from google and other search engines, they have a way of knowing that the gallery is just a small part of Hearth.com.

Alternatively, I can put the old drop-down menu there - which let's folks get anywhere from anywhere.

Nicely done Craig. Only complaint I have is that now I feel totally inadequate when I look at my chimney...

Webmaster said:
Thanks, and good suggestions, Goose....

I can implement some of them....

As far as the links back to Hearth.com, some of that is designed so that when a person lands in the gallery from google and other search engines, they have a way of knowing that the gallery is just a small part of Hearth.com.

Alternatively, I can put the old drop-down menu there - which let's folks get anywhere from anywhere.

Glad you liked my ideas, and look forward to seeing them.

Hadn't thought about the strangers coming in from the search engines I'll admit - I guess part of the difference between using a website and making a living off it :) Perhaps just labeling the links slightly differently, something like "back to thumbnail page" and "gallery main page" would avoid the suprising behaviour.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.