New chimney install - clean from inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ljensen1

Aug 18, 2010
Central New York
We're building a new house (almost done!) and will be heating primarily with wood. Just bought a BlazeKing Princess - got a good deal on a floor model. Now we need to purchase and install the chimney. The stove will be located near the center of the house and the chimney will run straight up through a bedroom and out the roof. It's a cape-cod style house. The roof is metal and is a 10/12 pitch. Is it possible to get a stove pipe that is removable, so we can clean from below? If it exists, what is it called? Rather not have to get up on that roof too often.

I'm not familiar with how the BK Princess is configured inside, so this simple solution may/may not be applicable. If you can access the firebox outlet to the flue (you may have to remove some internal components), then you can do an effective job from the bottom up with a Gardus SootEater. I have this tool. I hate going up on my 7/12 pitch tile roofs. I like using this. Here's the link...sorry about the cheesy auto-start video. %-P Rick

http://www.sooteater.com/

fossil said:
I'm not familiar with how the BK Princess is configured inside, so this simple solution may/may not be applicable. If you can access the firebox outlet to the flue (you may have to remove some internal components), then you can do an effective job from the bottom up with a Gardus SootEater. I have this tool. I hate going up on my 7/12 pitch tile roofs. I like using this. Here's the link...sorry about the cheesy auto-start video. %-P Rick

http://www.sooteater.com/

http://www.sooteater.com/chimney/
i love the pic of an earthstove t150c on this page>> one fun stove to clean from inside...

Not familiar with that stove, either...but I have no problem with my little CFM in the shop, or my Lopi Liberty in the house. Remove baffles firebricks...which is part of cleaning anyway. Beats going up on the roof in my 61-y/o book, and the thing negotiates corrugated back-to-back single wall 45°'s with ease. Got a conventional poly brush stuck hard in the shop stove flue once, and had to disassemble the whole darned thing to get it out. What a mess that was. I'm not trying to say that this thing is the answer for everyone, but it sure does work well in my situation. Rick

ETA: Found my pics of the thing that I posted in a thread some time ago.

Attachments

• sooteater.jpg
    sooteater.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 412
  • sooteater2.jpg
    sooteater2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 407
Thanks for the suggestions. The Princess is a catalyst stove and it looks like I can't clean from within the stove.
Has anyone used the BOZ mechanical cleaner? Also, I thought I saw mention in a past thread of some kind of telescoping or removable section of stove pipe. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

Thank you. I'm going to look into that further. I take it that it's okay to unfasten and re-fasten the telescoping pipe regularly for cleaning? It can handle that?

ljensen1 said:
The opening for the chimney is on the top of the stove. To offset, I'd have to add two bends. I would rather not do that.
put a singlewall tee above the stove so u can pull the cap & snake the BOZ gizmo into it? or a brush if it fits

Do you think a single wall tee would be better than a telescoping pipe? It would certainly be easier to access, but would the cleaning be easier and more thorough if I actually removed a whole section of pipe?

Thanks everyone for your patience in answering. Haven't had any experience in this area yet.

ljensen1 said:
Do you think a single wall tee would be better than a telescoping pipe? It would certainly be easier to access, but would the cleaning be easier and more thorough if I actually removed a whole section of pipe?

Thanks everyone for your patience in answering. Haven't had any experience in this area yet.
singlewall tee is easier but both are gonna make a mess in the house.

The bypass on the princess opens a trap door almost directly beneath the flue collar. You will probably be able to get a soot eater up through there, or a soft nylon brush. A slip joint would probably be safer though and prevent you from sending soot down into the cat area.

Congrats on the purchase!

I use the Sooteater as well and have had good results cleaning both my Oslo and Castine from the inside. The sooteater negotiates 45 degree bends and does a serviceable job of cleaning the cap as well.
joe

Is there a limit on the snout length in the thimble to where cleaning from the bottom up won't work? I don't mind going to the roof, but doing it from the basement would be much nicer.

A slip joint and a telescoping pipe are the same thing.

WoodHeatStoves is correct, after you clean from the bottom please make sure you get on the roof and inspect things. I clean client chimneys from the bottom as often as possible, but it is absolutely necessary to get on the roof and inspect things afterward. It's just nice (and safer) to not have to lug tools up a ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.