New chimney install with Keystone - working great now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So here is a pic of my new install and one where you can see old install - old install was terra cota and with cement block. Was old and used with coal and gas stoves. I used in for this season when I got my new stove - no issues just wanted to have something safer since the block was starting to rot out.
When I fired up the stove noticed a huge difference in what my stack temps went to and how hot it now gets with the cat engaged. I will have to now make sure it doesnt get running away with temps.

Also will be able to clean from the bottom as it has a clean out vent. The chimney is also shorter as it lost the bottom section even though they made it a little higher at the top

I didnt think it was going to make this big a difference

Attachments

• chimmeny 002.jpg
    chimmeny 002.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 291
  • chimmeny 003.jpg
    chimmeny 003.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Imported Photos 00175.jpg
    Imported Photos 00175.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 298
What is your stack height, 15 or 18'?
Can you elaborate on the temp differences you're seeing?

I would say it was about 10 feet going under where the current bottom is. I am seeing stack temps when I dont dampen reach up in the 700's and close to the red mark on thermometer. Usually unless I had some real good locust my cat temps would stay around 400 to 500 with the air settinng at 1 or so. I can get them above that now with it almost zero on the air damper and can cruise at 600 or so with it at just about one

oh the current stack height is about 25 feet or so

Looks good Keith and good results too..Congrats!

Ray

Hey - the picture on your profile of your shed can you send me that pic so I can see it better - I am currently designing my shed and getting pics from everybody to get ideas - looks like you have a floor built there on it

Looks good Keith. A good chimney can really make a difference. I know when I relined my old oversized clay tile chimney it was like night and day difference in draft and stove performance.

Keith, how much clearance did you give at the soffit?

hard to see that from the pics but there is actually a cut away from where the old chimney was - there is a plate up there with a hole in and the pipe goes through that - the pipe is actually about 6 inches or more away from anything on all sides

Status
Not open for further replies.