"New" chimney still stinks after a month of 24x7 burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
I recently repainted a portion of my single wall chimney with 1200* stove paint. The first few fires, I expected that "curing paint" smell in the house, but it's been a month and I still get it when the stack hits 550-600. This is the maximum I run the pipe at, but I've hit it multiple times, and each time it goes over 500, I get the smell, and it's just as strong as the last time. Any ideas?

Is this Stove Brite paint? Maybe run the stack at 700 for a couple short, hot fires?

I have heard if it gets put on too thick that stuff will almost never cure. I think the hotter temp might just do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.