New Condar Catalytic combustor not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodguy92

Oct 25, 2016
CT
Hi, I have a Vermont castings encore 0028 that I recently rebuilt. New gaskets, lower firewall, upper fire wall, refactory assembly, and a new condar catalytic combustor. I have read both the owners and service manuals from front to back and I'm positive I rebuilt the stove properly. On my first burn everything work great. Stove was brought up to 500+ degrees and I engaged the by-pass. I quickly noticed the temperature continue to rise which tells me the combustor was doing it's job. I then lowered the thermostat all the way and continued to burn at 550-650 degrees for the next 5-6 hours. Fast forward to my next burn. Did everything the same as my first burn and when I engaged the by-pass at 500+ degrees I noticed the temperature started going down. I have had an addition 2-3 fires and still can't get the combustor to work properly. At best, when I've been burning for an hour + and engage the by-pass the temp will stay the same, but never go up. Any suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Could be the wood.
Is smoke visible coming out of the chimney (some time after you engage the by pass)?

Could be the wood.
Is smoke visible coming out of the chimney (some time after you engage the by pass)?
I know the wood I'm using is seasoned hard wood. I have noticed minimal smoke coming from the chimney after engaging the bypass. When the bypass is open I don't have a draft issue, but when I close the bypass is it possible I'm having a draft problem?

After engaging the bypass, leave the air open. The stovetop temp should start climbing. Once you see it climb only then play with the air to get desired heat output.

Do you have easy access to the back of the stove? If so, you should invest in a cat probe meter. Then you will no longer guess if the cat is doing its job.

After engaging the bypass, leave the air open. The stovetop temp should start climbing. Once you see it climb only then play with the air to get desired heat output.

Do you have easy access to the back of the stove? If so, you should invest in a cat probe meter. Then you will no longer guess if the cat is doing its job.
I do leave the air open fully and the temp still doesn't go up. I have a Vermont castings 0028 and accessing the catalytic is't the easiest things, so I'm tying to exhaust all my options before going the rt.

Status
Not open for further replies.