New Construction with Drywall Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MO-Ted-T

Jan 4, 2024
Missouri
I am building a new home and have a drywall (type x) and 2x4 framed "fireplace" and chimney out through the roof.

The builder seems to think I can put an insert in.

I would like to put an insert in.

Talking with the mechanical (HVAC) contractor and he has concerns about installing any woodburner inside of a non-masonry fireplace.

New to all of this, have been a lurker, but relatively new poster.

Thank you in advance

I am building a new home and have a drywall (type x) and 2x4 framed "fireplace" and chimney out through the roof.

The builder seems to think I can put an insert in.

I would like to put an insert in.

Talking with the mechanical (HVAC) contractor and he has concerns about installing any woodburner inside of a non-masonry fireplace.

New to all of this, have been a lurker, but relatively new poster.

Thank you in advance
Definitely can't put an insert in that space

Reactions: NickW
Each ZC has specific requirements to it for installation for clearance to combustibles. You may need to rip out some framing and drywall to properly install. I needed steel studs above mine for a minimum set distance and drywall is not non-combustible. The requirements for a "fire wall" between an attached garage and house are not the requirements for a fireplace surround. Flue support and fire blocking are something else to look into...

In order to discuss options, we need a lot more details about what is currently in place including dimensions. Please post some pictures too if possible.