New creek/flood approaches wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
What's the deal.
It rained, got windy, turned 44 °F, snow is melting, This is February, not April? :bug:
Wood pile has water under it.
I'm glad I put some spruce logs down before I stacked it.
I diverted the creek around the wood, & of course I was in tennis shoes.

Attachments

• 100_4411.jpg
    100_4411.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 569
  • 100_4414.jpg
    100_4414.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 574
Uh oh! Time to invest in an old pontoon boat to stack wood on. It was 40° yesterday and I almost broke into a sweat.

My sister had to wait 5 or 6 hours yesterday due to an avalanche blocking the road . . . and she said the same as you . . . wicked warm weather has meant their snowmobiling . . . I mean snow machining as you guys call it . . . has been limited since they typically rely on the nearby stream freezing over so they can cross it to get where they want to go.

Amazing that the northern areas have been colder than us....and we are getting above normal readings. We almost hit 40 yesterday. Like quads said, it was a beautiful sunny day. Very much like Spring. I decided to push back some snowbanks and widen a couple of driveways and paths yesterday because of more snow forecast and for the first time in a long while I ran across some mud! Not deep as there is still lots of frost, but open ground with mud.

Thankfully mud does not last long on our place because we have all yellow sand and the water goes through it like through a sieve.

I claim global warming until the next blast of artic air comes thru cny. I'd like to see more photos of the creek. Unless I'm missing something, I see a wood pile and some snow on the ground in front of it.

Franks said:
I claim global warming until the next blast of artic air comes thru cny. I'd like to see more photos of the creek. Unless I'm missing something, I see a wood pile and some snow on the ground in front of it.

Yea, I had to dig down thru about 8" of snow, to the ground& then laid down some spruce logs.
I dug a hole to put the stacks in & the hole flooded. Better than on the snow & falling over during break-up.
water was over some of the spruce just getting on the firewood.
The water was under the snow, damed up & all under the end of the stacked wood.
I dug a ditch thru about a foot of snow/ice to drain the water

I just went out to look around & ended up playing in the water with tennis shoes. My boots were nice & dry in the shop.
Once my feet were wet, why go get boots :) LOL

Alaskans like global warming !!

todays pic, water mostly gone & some froze up last night.

Attachments

• 100_4418.jpg
    100_4418.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.