New cutting place... and a quiz!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
So because we had so much snow this year so late in the season (one of the ski resorts was still open on July 4th) my normal cutting place wasn't an option until just recently. So I've been cutting in a new area that's lower in elevation. It's nice because they went through last year cutting a firebreak trying to stop a wildfire. So there's lots of already downed stuff close to the road.

I'm envious of you eastern guys with all your hardwoods. Usually, I'm stuck burning mostly Englemann Spruce (tons of beetle kill around here), and some Aspen but this new place has some better stuff! I've gotten some good Gambel Oak, some Locust, some awesome blowover maple, and lots of the stuff in the attached picture. There's actually 3 wood types in the picture, let's see who can identify them! :lol: Not quite as good as hardwoods, but I'm happy.

hrja6g.gif

Juniper, pinion, and...?

mhambi said:
So because we had so much snow this year so late in the season (one of the ski resorts was still open on July 4th) my normal cutting place wasn't an option until just recently. So I've been cutting in a new area that's lower in elevation. It's nice because they went through last year cutting a firebreak trying to stop a wildfire. So there's lots of already downed stuff close to the road.

I'm envious of you eastern guys with all your hardwoods. Usually, I'm stuck burning mostly Englemann Spruce (tons of beetle kill around here), and some Aspen but this new place has some better stuff! I've gotten some good Gambel Oak, some Locust, some awesome blowover maple, and lots of the stuff in the attached picture. There's actually 3 wood types in the picture, let's see who can identify them! :lol: Not quite as good as hardwoods, but I'm happy.

hrja6g.jpg

Trade some hardwood for that view.

zap

I'm afraid I'd have a rough time cutting wood there. Looks like a good place to just sit and meditate.

Won't bother making wild guesses on that wood, but I'm with zap, if my scrounging spot looked like that I might prefer softwoods. Needing twice as much wood means twice as much time working with that VIEW!

Backwoods Savage said:
I'm afraid I'd have a rough time cutting wood there. Looks like a good place to just sit and meditate.

Chop now, meditate in the winter. :lol:

So it was a trick question... There's Rocky Mountain Juniper (the purplish/red), Utah or Western Juniper (the 'oranger' piece just to the left of the splitting block), and the splitting block itself is spruce.

Not really sure, but did you cut it down during the wrong time of the month?
I'm with Dennis, I think I'd be more appt to just sit and soak it in.

zapny said:
mhambi said:

hrja6g.jpg

Trade some hardwood for that view.

zap

+1 bring a semi and will load wood saw's and Me..... ;-)

midwestcoast said:
Won't bother making wild guesses on that wood, but I'm with zap, if my scrounging spot looked like that I might prefer softwoods. Needing twice as much wood means twice as much time working with that VIEW!

I'll have to take some pics of the actual scrounging spot... the above pic is back at my house where I split it up. Makes for a nice evening chore...

If you're easily distracted... my 'other' cutting place is even worse!!!

Nice trout fishing here too... hard to get anything done!
2db5px1.jpg

2v8ifpk.jpg

I'll trade 1 overnight stay will all the views you care to view for one cord of Hickory, Ash, or Oak. Meals included. :lol:

Pine. That's as far as my conifer ID skills will take me. I'm slightly better if I can see some needles, but not much.

I only see cedar and a great back drop.

Cedar and Locust what do you burn them splits in they look 30" long?

2l8ggg8.jpg

The splits are only +/- 22" long. They'll go into the Englander 28-3500 or the Kozy Heat Z42. Or the mystery stove I'm still looking to put in this year... :lol:

very nice. too bad there isn't hardwoods for you. i really like it out west, but i know i would miss the ol'u.p. if i ever moved! i don't think you can match the cost of living here, as it is pretty low when i compare to what others have to say about housing costs in their locales (rent, etc). but i digress...(any more rambling, and this'll get closed down or moved to the ash can!!)

i suppose to top off all the great scenery, you have no mosquitoes/bugs to speak of?? dang

Beautiful view,great looking Juniper.Looks just like the stuff in my backyard.Scrounged it off local CL 4 months ago,havent quite got all the best pieces milled into blocks & slabs yet.Very fine checking on a couple logs,but not severe.

Attachments

• easternredcedar31211.jpg
    easternredcedar31211.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 253
  • easternredcedar31211 (4).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (4).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 242
  • easternredcedar31211 (2).jpg
    easternredcedar31211 (2).jpg
    111 KB · Views: 250
mhambi said:
midwestcoast said:

I'll have to take some pics of the actual scrounging spot... the above pic is back at my house where I split it up. Makes for a nice evening chore...

Nice trout fishing here too... hard to get anything done!
2db5px1.jpg

2v8ifpk.jpg

How about 2 nights for a cord of Black Locust?

I'll trade 1 overnight stay will all the views you care to view for one cord of Hickory, Ash, or Oak. Meals included. :lol:

Great pics . . . the few times I've gone out west I really loved the different scenery and views vs. here on the east coast. Thanks for sharing.

mhambi said:
midwestcoast said:

Oh my... astounding

Flatbed - it's a deal!

gzecc said:
mhambi said:
Flatbed - it's a deal!
Shipping included?

He's coming to see the views... might as well deliver the wood while he's here... right?

mhambi said:
gzecc said:
mhambi said:
Flatbed - it's a deal!
Shipping included?

He's coming to see the views... might as well deliver the wood while he's here... right?

Pick me up on the way west from Westchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.